EPT! Does it work for you?

HI!
I have owned 2pcs of 920T for 3 month's now, and I've had problems with both of them since the very beginning. The main problem seem's to be with the EPT function of the device, Eg. going into a tunnel, with a route programmed into the Navigator, it of and on Freeze's the Program, then it shut's itself down (goes completly black) and then restart's itself by doing a reset sequense. When up and going again, The Route that was running on the device is lost, and then it finds the latest route, prior to the one i was using.

Reg's akew

I haven't had those issues with EPT. It doesn't work as good as actually having a GPS signal, however it hasn't crashed like that on me when EPT kicks in while driving in a tunnel.

I haven't had those issues with EPT. It doesn't work as good as actually having a GPS signal, however it hasn't crashed like that on me when EPT kicks in while driving in a tunnel.

If I remember, it was DennisN in the Brit forum who reported he did have problems with it and found the GPS was more reliable for him in the long run.

I haven't used it a ton... perhaps a couple of dozen trips though tunnels. But for me it worked better than the 720 I had running side-by-side. And certainly better than the Nuvi which plastered a big warning message on the screen that said 'Lost Satellite Reception'. It certainly isn't perfect though... sometimes though I had magically surfaced on a parallel street. But overall for me it has been a bit better than not having it. I'm not sure I'd pay the extra cash just for that feature though.

I haven't used it a ton... perhaps a couple of dozen trips though tunnels. But for me it worked better than the 720 I had running side-by-side. And certainly better than the Nuvi which plastered a big warning message on the screen that said 'Lost Satellite Reception'. It certainly isn't perfect though... sometimes though I had magically surfaced on a parallel street. But overall for me it has been a bit better than not having it. I'm not sure I'd pay the extra cash just for that feature though.

I use it everyday going thru a total of 8 tunnels. Once you allow it to calibrate for a minute or 2 before setting out, it works well...just as advertised.

I use it everyday going thru a total of 8 tunnels.

So if you've used it every day for the same 8 tunnels do you know the way yet? :D

Lets face it Infama, you just like to play with the technology. Me too.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the EPT works when I'm driving through the Mont Blanc tunnel this July. I'll give you a big wave as I drive by on the E62 :) :)

So if you've used it every day for the same 8 tunnels do you know the way yet? :D

Lets face it Infama, you just like to play with the technology. Me too.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the EPT works when I'm driving through the Mont Blanc tunnel this July. I'll give you a big wave as I drive by on the E62 :) :)

Nah, I still get lost in them there tunnels. LoL

And there are only 4 tunnels, but I do go back and forth you know.

None of mine are longer than 2 KM, so the MB tunnel at 11km will be a real test.

Its close but still a bit away, so I may miss your wave if its not vigourous! LoL

You are one funny dude, BTW! LoL

HI!
The main problem seem's to be with the EPT function of the device, Eg. going into a tunnel, with a route programmed into the Navigator, it of and on Freeze's the Program, then it shut's itself down (goes completly black) and then restart's itself by doing a reset sequense.
This is not normal.
Try a pin reset.

EPT function

Hi to all,
in some cases just after I have entered a tunnel the cursor position stops completely and resume its movement only after I exit the tunnel and GPS signal comes back (worse than if I had no EPT at all, at least with 730 the software tried to simulate a constant speed!). Does it happen also to you or do I have to be worried about my unit health?

Thank you for your feedback

Yes, I do have a 930T. Yes, I tried to reset the unit and I also reloaded the SW on my TomTom after a reformat of my unit (what TomTom support told me to do for another issue I had).

Last edited:
I'm really out of my element here but I think that for EPT to work, the 9x models have some sort of gyroscope imbedded in them. Perhaps the hardware is faulty. Is it still under warranty?

(I hope others with more knowledge in this area than I will jump in here .......)

Also, did you see infama's comment above in the thread about allowing a couple of minutes for the unit to calibrate?

Last edited:
In fact a hardware fault is my main fear. Since this problem does not happen every time the EPT activates, I am not 100% sure it is an hardware problem so I am searching for other user's experiences before sending the unit to repair (with the risk to get it back as it was, with the same problem :eek:).

I've not had any unusual happenings with EPT. My first 920 did suffer a lot of mysterious problems after a couple of months, though - spontaneous shutdown and reboot, refusal to stay powered down, lockups, etc. After trying everything multiple times, I bit the bullet and got an RMA. TomTom returned a refurbished unit that has since performed flawlessly. I think if you return a unit for repair, the normal response is to replace it with a refurbished one. That may or may not please you but personally, I had no problem with it. The refurbished unit was indistinguishable from a new one and as I said, has performed flawlessly for about 8 months now.

The 9xx devices are fitted with accelerometers to measure forces that change as the vehicle corners, in use the system needs a good few miles of straight road to "calibrate" the sensor. I have had a couple of occasions where nothing happens if I haven't been driving any great distance and go underground with the 930 or 940.
Both devices worked fine on Friday and Sunday while going through underpasses around Stoke On Trent (UK), they are both running the latest software. ave you been expecting the EPT to kick in when you have been driving for only a short distance? - Mike

I have my GO920 for more than a year now and if my memory still serves me well, it DID happen once or twice when I drove deep under the Big "freaking" Dig in Boston, MA, USA. In addition to that, there were sometime (and it might be in the future as well) EPT kicked in but completely lost its coordinator (meanning map keep spinning N-E-W-S), but other than that, it's fine, just fine.
Note: I said it's "FINE" based on my expectation only since I mod'ed my GO a lot, can't expect the perfection out of it anymore and Big Dig is too deep.

I read somewhere (and do not know how valid it is) that EPT only kicks in if a route is set, not in just regular driving mode.

I read somewhere (and do not know how valid it is) that EPT only kicks in if a route is set, not in just regular driving mode.
Good point.
I've never paid attention to that but will be next time and confirm that statement above true or not.

The 9xx devices are fitted with accelerometers to measure forces that change as the vehicle corners, in use the system needs a good few miles of straight road to "calibrate" the sensor...
... Have you been expecting the EPT to kick in when you have been driving for only a short distance? - Mike

I know that. I also noted that if I do not stay still for some seconds at least and I do not drive for a while in straight direction (as the manual says) the EPT function does not activate (in fact if I go into a tunnel the GPS signal is lost, the screen becomes gray and NO EPT icon appears). When I notice the problem the EPT icon is there (and I suppose it means it calibrated and it is working) and moreover during the same trip in some tunnels it "works" (at least the cursor does not get stuck just after a few seconds) and in some occasions it does not (the cursor stops in the tunnel and resumes its path only when GPS signal is back). If I'll be sure I have an hardware fault of course I send the unit back for repair. My fear is it could be a software issue: in that case it could remain unsolved. Thank you for your answer that moves me one step forward in returning the unit :)

Ask a Question