Don't follow your gps into a low-ceiling tunnel

UNFLIPPEN BELIEVABLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ignorance is absolutly no excuse and drivers such as these should be delt with in the strongest fashion.

My truck measures 13'5" tall and I can't imagine not being able to recognize
that particcular bridge being short. Misssing multible signs and flashing lights
should be a strong indication the driver is a threat regardless what type of vehicle he'd operate.

Where have you been hiding, Chilly?;)

I wish I was hiding !! I've just arrived home after 36 days on the road. Freight has been just crazy. It seemed the as fast as fuel prices were rising....the fright was increasing as well. Just as I was trying to get back home, I kept getting above average rate offers and found it hard to decline the bucks. It's appearing many small owner/operators like myself are "bad business people" and are going belly up, leaving the survivors more opportunity to cash in.

So, I dropped the truck off at the shop yesterday for general preventive maintenance and headed to the house. I'm gonna be taking an extened break/vacation for about 3 weeks and hang out with you folks :)

Thanks for asking........

UNFLIPPEN BELIEVABLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ignorance is absolutly no excuse and drivers such as these should be delt with in the strongest fashion.

My truck measures 13'5" tall and I can't imagine not being able to recognize
that particcular bridge being short. Misssing multible signs and flashing lights
should be a strong indication the driver is a threat regardless what type of vehicle he'd operate.

yep, i gotta go along with this, of course sometimes u can't always believe what u see. i came to an overpass in chicago that was listed as 13'7", i got a 13'5 trailer, i go under an overpass all the time that is listed as 13'6 with inches to spare....this time it didn't work, that 13'7" was close enough for the rivit heads to scrapet the top of the trailer. it could be that they paved under it and never changed the sign. there's an overpass on one of the highways coming into town, and they were smart enought to remove the old black top under it before laying fresh down...the clearance never changed...i have seen big trucks come to a stop for it and procede at a slow creap, and they got at least a foot clearance....it just agrivates the daylights outa the phd's with the the big gas guzzling suv's...i just love it......

in chicago

How true Driver.

My first "low bridge" experience was in the late 70's. Have no idea of the exact location, but was deep inside the loop. Was about 3:30PM

So as I approach the UNMARKED bridge, I got er down to a crawl and stopped inches before the nose of the trailer got to the bridge. Nope, no way.....the trailer's bout 2 inches too tall.

At this point, there is already 100's of 4 wheelers stacked up behind me.
I can see a side street a full city block behind me. So I pulled out a set of markers and placed them about 10 feet behind the trailer. Then backed up to the markers. I repeated this process about 30+ times till I reached the side street and was able to back in and re-route. Not one cop would stop and assist. Back in those days we had no cell-phones to call for help. I payed no attention to the relentless honking of the traffic jam behind me. I think it was close to 3 years before I took a load anywhere near the downtown area.

Your point bout MIS-MARKED bridge heights also got me good in Brooklyn. This was indeed a case where recent paving raised the road surface. Luckily it was late at night and I was able to backup without issue. Also in Brooklyn, you gotta be carefull after a heavy snow fall. Not too long ago......I was trapped for 6-8 hours until plows scraped the snow down to the pavement.

Fun job, ain't it ??

Last edited:

Ask a Question