Do SD cards need to be formatted first?

TomTom Model(s)
GO 920
Do SD cards need to be formatted first? that is for the go 920, and does the TT application need to be installed in order for the sd to be read?
thanks,
newbie hasiel

If it's a sdhc card, they are usually formatted out of the package. If yours is not being 'seen' when using Explorer, perhaps it is not. Format using fat32 for a 920. The application can be on internal and should detect a map stored on the sd card. For the x20 and x30 models, the application does NOT have to reside in the same memory location as the map is.

Why would you format at fat32 over fat?
Would formatting at fat32 make the gps more responsive when using sd card map?
thanks
Hasiel the Newbie

I think I read that the SDHC spec calls for Fat32 & that all SDHC cards should already come formatted in Fat32, out of the box.

(Although, I may have read that here...so, take it for what it's worth. IOW, do your own research! ;) )

I think I read that the SDHC spec calls for Fat32 & that all SDHC cards should already come formatted in Fat32, out of the box.

(Although, I may have read that here...so, take it for what it's worth. IOW, do your own research! ;) )

I did write that in some msgs here and elsewhere. Wikipedia was helpful to know the nitty gritty about that.

I did write that in some msgs here and elsewhere. Wikipedia was helpful to know the nitty gritty about that.
Hee hee! :D

I still haven't re-reformatted my 16GB card, so that TTHome can see it. But I'm really just using it as mp3 storage, which seems to work okay for playback.

R?

Hee hee! :D

I still haven't re-reformatted my 16GB card, so that TTHome can see it. But I'm really just using it as mp3 storage, which seems to work okay for playback.

R?

FAT32 has a max size which exceeds the size of present SDHC cards. The problem is in the TT writing capability which varies depending on model and bootloader version on it. TT's NavCore writes when it needs to update favorites or Home location, create a route or recaclculate one, when it needs to dump a screen etc. Accessing multimedia files only involves reading. Recent bootloader versions are said to be able to write to 16GB but have not tested that myself.

FAT32 has a max size which exceeds the size of present SDHC cards. The problem is in the TT writing capability which varies depending on model and bootloader version on it. TT's NavCore writes when it needs to update favorites or Home location, create a route or recaclculate one, when it needs to dump a screen etc. Accessing multimedia files only involves reading. Recent bootloader versions are said to be able to write to 16GB but have not tested that myself.
Interesting. If I ever find time to re-reformat this card (as per your instructions :rolleyes: ), I'll let you know the Write results...

I have noticed a few "quirks" in the Jukebox. Not sure if it could be related to lack-of proper formatting or not...

Any-who, some of the Genre tags are showing up corrupted. For example, 2 or 3 chapters of a 12-part "Cyberpunk" audiobook show up as differing variations of: "Cybepo???" when previously, I'd set all of their ID tags to the same values in iTunes. A few of the foreign artists are showing up wrong too.

When I check these files in iTunes, all appear fine, but iTunes may have modified their ID3 tags in a non-standard manner. No idea why, but at least everything plays correctly.

R? (thread hijacker, extraordinaire! :rolleyes: )

Interesting. If I ever find time to re-reformat this card (as per your instructions :rolleyes: ), I'll let you know the Write results...

I have noticed a few "quirks" in the Jukebox. Not sure if it could be related to lack-of proper formatting or not...

Any-who, some of the Genre tags are showing up corrupted. For example, 2 or 3 chapters of a 12-part "Cyberpunk" audiobook show up as differing variations of: "Cybepo???" when previously, I'd set all of their ID tags to the same values in iTunes. A few of the foreign artists are showing up wrong too.

When I check these files in iTunes, all appear fine, but iTunes may have modified their ID3 tags in a non-standard manner. No idea why, but at least everything plays correctly.

R? (thread hijacker, extraordinaire! :rolleyes: )

Don't forget that files stored on the TT system are Linux based. I know here in Quebec state, the majority of names are French and there are many inconsistencies with accentuated letters. I attribute that to wrong code pages which most DOS people are quite accustomed to. It determines what the stored characters should be translated to on screen. They are not all wrong but many are and displayed with characters that don't even exist in the French or English languages. ?Mont?e Saint-Fran?ois? became something that one had to guess what it really is. I reported the problem to TT and TeleAtlas but, while some names have been corrected in the most recent versions, they have yet to nail it down across the board. Most Quebec rural areas have ?rangs? which are roads parallel to rivers and ?mont?es? are roads perpendicular to the river and provide the links to the ?rangs?.

FAT32 supports a max file size of 4GB, which is why you should use it over FAT or FAT16. You REALLY want the ability to put maps on your SD card, even if you don't use that feature.

Does anyone know if the 930 supports NTFS?

FAT32 supports a max file size of 4GB, which is why you should use it over FAT or FAT16. You REALLY want the ability to put maps on your SD card, even if you don't use that feature.

Does anyone know if the 930 supports NTFS?

Could you check your info before posting erroneous information? You have it all wrong!:eek:
As for NTFS, TT uses the Linux based OS so no NTFS there.

Could you check your info before posting erroneous information? You have it all wrong!:eek:
As for NTFS, TT uses the Linux based OS so no NTFS there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table

Note that the max FILE size for FAT of any type is 4GB. FAT32 will let you store more on the card, but each file will still be limited to 4GB.

Here is another link on the subject to back this up:

http://windowsitpro.com/article/articleid/38803/understanding-file-size-limits-on-ntfs-and-fat.html

I accept that there are many things I may not know, so I did a quick check to verify if I was correct or not(after you said I was incorrect).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table

Note that the max FILE size for FAT of any type is 4GB. FAT32 will let you store more on the card, but each file will still be limited to 4GB.

Here is another link on the subject to back this up:

http://windowsitpro.com/article/articleid/38803/understanding-file-size-limits-on-ntfs-and-fat.html

I accept that there are many things I may not know, so I did a quick check to verify if I was correct or not(after you said I was incorrect).

The subject of the discussion was formatting and accessing SD/SDHC cards which needs distinguishing between reading and writing. The standard for formatting SD cards is FAT16 which has a max partition size of 2GB but could also access 4GB by using the large large cluster feature. As for SDHC cards, the standard requires FAT32 which is what TT now uses for its internal memory even on the ONE models. I read your post too fast and did not realize you were discussing the FILE size aspect as the largest file I've encountered in TT maps (cline.dat in NA v8.10) is around 600MB. My mistake, sorry about that!

Ask a Question