Dallas guy roaming in Rome with the TT920

Users, here is a few points and a request for help in my use of the 920 while visting here in Rome. I Landed in Rome and the TT was able to get me to my hotel with little problems. The next day I drove into Rome and parked close to the Vatican to walk around for the day. I tried to put in an "way point" as to where my car was but I must have entered it wrong. I tried to enter it as a favoriate but selected last point so somehow it saved the hotel instead. Now I know that when I stop my car I have to enter in GPS location (or something like that).

Walking around Rome I tried to use it to help me get to POIs of Tourist attraction. It could find them (or most of them) but I found it very difficult to use when walking around. It seems that it does not sample the sats fast enough becuase I would start walking one way and then after a few minutes it would say I should be walking a different way. Two other points: put the TT into 2D and topis North to help trying to locate yourself on a paper map. Also select turning off automatic zoom (although when zoomed in all the way auto zoom does not seem to work as it still zooms in and out). Overall, it is not a great tool for walking-it is just okay. If there were a way to have it sample the GPS more often it would probably be better. Is there a Hack to do that?

Power: a real challenge. I tried turning it on and off frequently to get more time out of the unit. But, the only solution was to carry the charger and an AC adapter and plug it in during lunch and coffee.

Any other tips to use this while walking would be greatly appreciated. I still have several other european cities to walk through.

Thanks for your interesting post. I'm sure that you will bless your TomTom while you are on the road. But as a GPS for walkers, I think you comments describe the limitations well.

I could understand the ones from Europe not working here since we have no free services and our unit not working with their paid services but I would have expected ours to work with Europe's free services. Oh well:confused:

Car noise when listening to MP3s

One problem I am having is that when I am listening to MP3 music and the TT is car powered a lot of the electronic noise is coupled into the music. If I simply disconnect DC power the backround hum stops. This is a problem with the DC charger allowing a lot of AC noise into the audio amp circuits of the TT. Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a DC isolator available to address this?

Also, some of the TAG info in my MP3 files are not recognized by the player in the TT. Does the TT suppor all TAG3 type meta data?

Also, some of the TAG info in my MP3 files are not recognized by the player in the TT. Does the TT suppor all TAG3 type meta data?

Funny you should ask as I just had the manual open to the MUSIC chapter to see the what's and how's. Here's a direct exerpt:

"Note: Not all mp3 files contain information about the song, such as the artist
or genre. If the file contains no information, the file name is used as the song
title."

But it does not say which form of tags are used. My question is how does one create a playlist since the tunes play alphabetically rather than in TRACK order.

How would one reference the folder structure to create playlists of items from different albums?

Oh, maybe I should not place each album or composer in its own folder? (thinking as I'm typing....)

Enjoy roaming Rome.

Ask a Question