Changing a street name

TomTom Model(s)
Go 2505TM
Hi I am from Canada, and one of the street names QEW highway is pronounced as three seperate letters Q E W. What the TT says is "Q", "Qew". TT is pronouncing all letters as one word. How do I send a correction so TT recognizes it as three seperate letters? "Q E W" which stands for Queen Elizabeth Way

Yeah, well aware of that issue :sad: .... and others.

Let's hope an application update in the future improves the pronunciation. TomTom IS aware of it .......

Ain't from those parts, as dhn knows, but I'm curious...

Are the letters separated by spaces or periods when displayed as text either on the map or the text description of the route, or anywhere like that? If they have compressed it to just "QEW", the unit has no way of knowing that it isn't a single word (even though capitalized). An app update probably wouldn't occur to fix that. It should probably be Q.E.W. in the map data if it isn't already.

If you go into the "LoquendoTTS" directory (folder) and edit the "roadnrEnglishUS.lex" file (yours might be named differently, but it's the .lex file) and add "QEW" = "Q E W" (include the quotes and spaces) that might solve your problem.
If that doesn't work try "QEW" = "Q.E.W." (again, include the quotes and periods)

If you're still having problems go to http://www.loquendo.com/en/demo-center/interactive-tts-demo/ and see if you can find some combination that works and place that between the last set of quotes.

Of course, if this works it will only fix the problem on your device. It's not a shared change.

Spider, the OP has a 2X model, so no access to the file system or the Loquendo folder, sadly.

Makes a person feel downright nostalgic, doesn't it?

Yeah ......... :violin:

Well, we all knew it would be like this with these models: Reset and know the number to customer support. :sad:

I tried the update as Q.E.W at first and it said Q E West so I put the period at the end as well and that seemed to fix the problem, works great.
Thanks guys.

@dhn
Probably renaming the road with MapShare, not changing the *.lex file. Haven't had reason to do this on a recent device, but on the older ones, it takes effect on the user's unit right away.

I had to change an abbreviation to the complete name when Susan scrambled it something fierce...
The abbreviation was "Intl" as in "International" and she pronounced it as a word (try saying "intl" three times in a row... :lol:).

On what model? Certainly not the 2505 you are showing under your name. :confused:
Yep it is with the GO 2505 TM, I did the map corection and then updated and now my TT says Q E W as three seperate letters.

Ask a Question