Blown Out Speaker and Unit Shut Down

Hi. All of a sudden the speaker on my 920 has blown out. A few times, when I do the speaker test at the Volume Preferences menu, the sound is okay, but when I increase the volume the voice "crackles", I get a yellow screen with an exclamation mark, and then the unit shuts off. As anyone experienced this. Could restoring the backup help or is this a hardware problem. I contacted TomTom support by email from the company's website but have received no response as of yet. TIA.

Can't see this being a software problem. You could try a pin reset and, if that doesn't do anything, restore to factory settings. But, make a complete backup using Explorer before trying the latter.

I suspect neither option will do anything but it won't hurt. also suspect you'll ultimately have to return the unit for repairs. Let us know.

Hi. All of a sudden the speaker on my 920 has blown out. A few times, when I do the speaker test at the Volume Preferences menu, the sound is okay, but when I increase the volume the voice "crackles", I get a yellow screen with an exclamation mark, and then the unit shuts off. As anyone experienced this. Could restoring the backup help or is this a hardware problem. I contacted TomTom support by email from the company's website but have received no response as of yet. TIA.

By chance were you playing an MP3 rap tune that has the Bom Bom that vibartes the windowns in houses a block away :D

Just kidding

like others have said I wouldn't think it is a soft whare problem but pin reset might help Good Luck.

The Yellow screen with an exclamation mark means that your battery has a few seconds of life left. This is very annoying since it only gives a few second warning to either plug in your cigarette adaptor or the unit dies......

The Yellow screen with an exclamation mark means that your battery has a few seconds of life left. This is very annoying since it only gives a few second warning to either plug in your cigarette adapter or the unit dies......

Yes, I read somewhere else on this forum that when the battery reserve is down to half or less and your speaker volume is high, the audio can crack or cut out.

Do you have your TT plugged in when this happens?

I had the same issue with my TT720. If the battery is about half and if you crank up the volume (when TT is running on battery) the voice cracks. It might also shutdown if the battery is less than half (the audio amplifier seems to draw a lot of power at high volumes).

Here is the link to the post:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=9793

I have a TTOneXL, the device powered off while it was plugged in. When I turned it on again, I did not hear the drum sound and I can no longer hear the voice, even though the volume was turned up. Called TomTom and was told there's nothing they can do to trouble shoot it because it is a blown out speaker. I will have to get a new one.:mad: I will try to look at other brand:(

Just for the heck of it, do you have an Explorer backup? If not, make one and then format the unit, don't use quickformat.

Now restore the backup. See if that helps.

Ask a Question