Audible playback error & .POS File

TomTom Model(s)
GO730
I've got a new GO730, which I was pretty tickled with. But, all of a sudden it's pitched a few hissy fits.

The most annoying one at the moment is audible files won't play. I get an "error during playback" message.

I run a Mac, and when I check the files on the Tomtom, after trying to play the audible files, I find the TT has created a new file that has the same name as the audible book, but with the extension ".pos". I've been trying to get an answer out of TT support, but they haven't been helpful at all yet.

Has anyone else run into this odd file creation?

audible files? My understanding is that the Tomtom only plays mp3's.

I heard that certain mac OS versions write added index files every time you copy an mp3, and it confuses a Tomtom. But normally a mac can't see those index files as they're only visible on a PC.

What file type/extension are you trying to load?

The TomTom will support audio books that use the .aa file type, the .pos file extension is also quite normal (position as in where you are up to in the book) - Mike

It is .aa audible files which I've been trying to play. Exactly the type tomtom lists in tomtom home and on their site. I've been back and forth with their support, which seem to be pretty much useless.

First they told me my computer was creating the file and I needed to check with the computer manufacturer. I pointed out that the file doesn't exist until after I've disconnected the tomtom from my computer and I try to play the audible books. I can connect to my computer and delete them, and they'll just appear again after I disconnect it.

Then they came back and said they needed to know where I was getting the audible files from. I replied I downloaded them from audible's site and attached a smaller file for them to look at.

Just this morning, I got a response that said audible doesn't support Mac users, thanks and goodbye. At this point, I'm starting to steam. That is just out and out b.s. I took screen shots of each of one audibles pages showing that they support Apple devices, and the page that shows the button to click for downloads for pcs and Macs, and then the page that shows that Mac users don't need to download anything as audible files play on itunes. I also reminded them that these files play just fine on my Mac and on my ipod.

I still can't believe they tried to tell me that audible says they don't support Macs.

I'm thinking I made a mistake here and should have gone Garmin.

You could try to convert your .aa files to mp3 and try them.

I think the freeware Audacity can do that for you.

Here's The Solution

So it's taken this long to get this fixed, TomTom was absolutely unable to figure out the problem and their service team was worse than hopeless. After talking with Audbile's support, we've figured it out.

First of all, TomTom's not really compatible with Mac. The interface never worked well, and wouldn't let me switch from the internal to the external (SD card) memory. At some point, the SD card was assigned internal memory files and the SD card was labelled ahead of the internal (external (SD card) was assigned E drive, internal was assigned F).

I deleted all of TomTom from the Mac side of my computer and installed TomTom on the Windows side. Put a new SD card in the TomTom and everything runs just fine.

Error with audible with new Tom tom GPS. It is automatically corrected when you use Audible Manager which runs on windows. When to load the first book i ask you your username and password for audible.com. It checks through the web sight and if right initiallizers the GPS. so it will play back. After that you can use i-tunes.

Ask a Question