TomTom Start - Audible speed warning?

TomTom Model(s)
Start
I purcghased a TomTom Start and was assure it would give an audible alarm if the speed was exceeded. It shows the speed limit and the speed I am doing and they go red if i exceed the limit. The TomTom Start does not make an sound. :mad:

Can I turn the sound on? :D

If not what is the next cheapest model that does have speed exceeded sound? :eek:

Many thanks in anticipation :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Under options, does it show Enable Safety Alerts or Disable Safety Alerts? It should say DISABLE (meaning they ARE enabled).

Manual says this:

When a safety camera location is shown on the map, a warning sound is played to warn you that you are approaching an area where a safety camera
is located

Under options, does it show Enable Safety Alerts or Disable Safety Alerts? It should say DISABLE (meaning they ARE enabled).

Thanks for the reply.

I am aware of the Safety Alerts and have tried this both on and off but the Tom Tom still makes no noise when the speed is exceeded.

It talks to me and gives navigation help.

I was not able to check for speed cameras audio output but I assume that works.

What I want is a Tom Tom that will make a sound when the designated road speed from the map is exceeded. ie a sound when the speed limit is exceeded and the display goes red. I

I have heard that folks say this happens on their TomToms.

I think you need a full menu model for that and, as far as I can tell, the 540 XXL seems to be the only offering with that in Australia but the OZ site shows no price for that model. It will be a fair amount more than the Start, though.

Think you find the option under Safety Preferences-->Warn when driving faster than allowed.

As I said, this functionality is NOT in the EasyMenu models.

Last edited:
Many thanks for your efforts. I will take back the TomTom Start and exchange it for a TomTom XXL 540 based on the TomTom not being suitable for my verbal contract with the salesman.

I think you'll be happier.

When you get the new unit, make an Explorer, not Home backup of the unit's contents and register it with a different email address than the one registered for the Start. Doesn't even have to be a real address, just in the proper (e-mail address removed).

Hi

I purchased a TomTom One XL

I worked great.

I made an Explorer, not Home backup of the unit's contents.

I installed TomTom HOME and upgraded it to 2.8 and it said I needed to upgrade the unit.

I did this and it failed to copy all the files to the hard drive and thus did not install it. Now the unit did not work.

I deleted the files from the hard drive and it still did not copy the files to it.

Now it does not work ... any ideas?

Regards

Geoffrey

What files are you referring to that you were trying to copy to the computer?

Since you say you made an Explorer backup, can you restore it to the unit?

I installed TomTom HOME and upgraded it.

It asked me to upgrade the TomTom and during doing that this error ooccurred:

Error writing file F:\antitheftw.bmp Report incident ID: 36829516

ERROR: HomeBase/IO: Error writing file: F:\antitheftw.bmp
@ .\portable\cfile.cpp(1947)
0000045D
in .\portable\cfile.cpp:1947
Stack:
0. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/commit.js:82
error(textOrException);
1. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/ttwizard.xml:1061
this._commitFailed(i, commitPage);
2. chrome://tthome/content/logic/util.js:79
return func.apply(obj, arguments);
3. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:77
this._errorCallback(e);
4. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:69
this._errorFatal(error);

Time: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 07:50:39 GMT

Screen dumps are here

http://tinyurl.com/errorimages

Shouldn't.

When you say they fail to write to the unit, what is happening or not happening?

You can format the unit. Don't use quickformat. Then try restoring your Explorer backup. Should work.

I know I am late to the party but I had a similar problem and found that the software for the XL was incompatible with the start model and had to go thru and find the files from the old TT and totally manually remove them to enable the new TT to work...irritating but at least it works now.

I too am finding it very difficult to set our 825 and 1005 (which is being repaired for the fourth time) so that they warn us if we go over the speed limit it was simple before updates.:confused:

Safety settings-->Warn when driving faster than allowed.

The next screen should be one with various sounds. Upgraded applications change the sound you selected back to Silent! :rant:

But you can reselect the sound you want in that screen.

At least, that's how things are supposed to be. Is that not the case with your device?

The bug where you couldn't get to the screen to set the sound effect should have been fixed by now, but if you are still struggling, try this:

1. Go to settings / Safety settings
2. Find the option "Warn when driving faster than allowed".
3. If it is ticked, UN-TICK it (if not, go to step 6)
4. Tap "Next"
5. Tap "Previous"
6. Now TICK that "Warn when driving faster than allowed" option again
7. Tap "Next"

Hopefully you should now get the "extra" screen where you get to choose the sound effect for overspeed warnings.

(As canderson says, several of the recent software updates reset it to "silence")

I have a Tom Tom Start and there is no option under Options / Safety Settings. My previous Go630 and 720 both had audible warnings for speeding and safety cameras. My TomTom Start just shows a red visual bar when speeding. I just added safety cameras in Tom Tom Home. It was greyed out before and not able to select in the options.

Ask a Question