anybody here about a new map release

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom 720
I read this here in TT news

I just got off the phone with TT support trying to get the 710.1609 map and they told me their annual map update will be coming out on the 20th of this month. Has anyone heard anything whatsoever about these new maps?

Anybody here about this before I get the 710.158 NA map later today or tomarrow and it be out of date in 10 days. Should I wait and see if it does come out or do you think they will hold back till the 50% off map sale is over:confused:

New v710.1609 Map is available

The NA map v710.1609 is now available. I just downladed it. The size of the map is smaller than the previous version - something like 1.5 GB

The NA map v710.1609 is now available. I just downladed it. The size of the map is smaller than the previous version - something like 1.5 GB

I ran TT home and it says I have the latest which is not this version...

I just bought a TomTom One 3rd Edition yesterday (01/11/08) and haven't opened it up yet. Should I wait until the new maps of North America area released to hook it up so that I have the most recent maps without having to pay?

Bill

The TT1 cannot use the NA map without a 2GB sd card upgrade so the map guarantee will not work in this case. You have to buy the map from the tom tom UK web site and download the file then install it on a 2GB SD card yourself and eliminate the onboard 1GB memory

PS the 3RD edition TT1 cannot use a SD card as there is no slot for it. You can only use the US/CAN maps on the 3Rd edition. You can look around to see if you can fine a version 2 or 4 or LE as they all have the SD card slot. I beleive that is why the 3rd edition comes with the free case and wall charger and is cheaper ( not sure about cheaper)

Last edited:
Thanks but I guess what I wondering is, if I hook it up now and download the most current US/Canada maps and new US/Canada maps come out soon will I be forced to pay for those new maps?

Bill

I beleive you get a 30 day map is the latest gaurantee but they will give you the map update but from what I hear you will have to call and fight for it.:(

Is there somewhere that actually LISTS the accurate latest version of the maps? After checking TomTom.com and TT Home, the best I can get is 710... With no 4 digit number afterwards.
People are talking about 710.1545, 710.1546, 710.1609 etc etc... Do the different maps get updated to the same numbers? IE if there is an update, does the update apply to all maps (NA and USA& Canada for example) which bumps the version number to the same number? Or are the different maps always a different version number - and if so, can you tell by the 4digit code, which map it is referring to (without someone actually saying it's an NA or USA & Canada map?)

From what I have witnessed so far, TomTom needs some serious help in the user friendliness department in providing information, allowing access to updates and some of the "features" available in their GPSes.
Don't get me wrong, I love my GPS - even with the few quirks with it - and I am not getting rid of it, but there are a few things that irk me... :)

Is there somewhere that actually LISTS the accurate latest version of the maps? After checking TomTom.com and TT Home, the best I can get is 710... With no 4 digit number afterwards.
People are talking about 710.1545, 710.1546, 710.1609 etc etc... Do the different maps get updated to the same numbers? IE if there is an update, does the update apply to all maps (NA and USA& Canada for example) which bumps the version number to the same number? Or are the different maps always a different version number - and if so, can you tell by the 4digit code, which map it is referring to (without someone actually saying it's an NA or USA & Canada map?)

)

Go into your map file on your unit using Explorer and you'll see a file called NA.pna (or whatever for US & Canada). Open the file in notepad and you'll see the version number and the build of your map.

Another way to find out is by running TTHome with the unit docked. One of the icons (forget the name) as you browse through the screens provides the system information including map version and build loaded on your unit.

Can I do this upgrade on go920? Do I have to download something or just run tomtom home like I do every other day (to stay current).

That is what is making me hesitate on ordering a new map. I want the 160 version of the NA map. That is the latest release from what I can see but when you go buy the map all it says is 7.10 so it is a crap shoot as to what map you get and I sort of beleive they know this and it is there way of keeping the tweekers a step behind.

Either version will be better than my 665 version I have now but I do not want to pay $80.00 today and then tomarrow a new map come out:(

Racefan has just backed up my point. I know how to get the version I currently have - but no where that I have found, on the net, lists what the current latest version is. I've read MANY posts on here about people trying to get an update via TTHome, only to be told that their map on their unit is the latest, when it obviously isn't.
I currently have USA & Canada 710.1575, and I have seen mention on maps with version 1576 and 1609 (amoung others) but I have no way of knowing whether those version numbers are indicative that there is an update to my map - or if they're only applied to certain maps.

TTHome does not appear to be a sure-fire way of making sure that the map you currently have is the latest. The same goes for TT's Homepage as well.

Am I the only one who thinks the current maps are outdated by 4-5 years. Its still telling me there are unpaved roads on my route when there are no unpaved roads. The odd thing is it never alows me to avoid them since it says No route found when I try. Can't we get a map that is within the current 1-2 year range at best??

Am I the only one who thinks the current maps are outdated by 4-5 years. Its still telling me there are unpaved roads on my route when there are no unpaved roads. The odd thing is it never alows me to avoid them since it says No route found when I try. Can't we get a map that is within the current 1-2 year range at best??
it all depends on what they choose to update when they do update the maps. some things are up to date, and some aren't, it's a gamble.

for a comparative, my dad has a garmin from like 2 years ago. he just updated the maps last weekend, which their newest version that just came out. it still cause a restaurant in his town that changed it's name like 4 years ago, the old name, but the TT is updated. His can't find my apartment complex that was built in 1999, but the TT can (googlemaps and mapquest also can't find where i live).

But i've found things too that exist but the TT doesn't know about. so like i said it's a gamble, no system in perfect.

although i think TT should team up with google maps, and it would be a kickass system, use the same routing engine too. I was hoping that maybe since they added that whole send to GPS thing that works with TT, it may be a step towards this.

Yup. I discovered that the POI locations are sometimes off by a block. It tells me to make a U turn when all I had to do is make a left turn at the that same light and I'd be there, rather then a block back from there. I guess you have to keep your eyes wide open and use common view knowledge before letting the gps guide you elsewhere (hopefully not into a ditch or a canal. lol.)

Ask a Question