Anti-aliasing?

TomTom Model(s)
GO 730
Does anyone know if there is a way to reduce the jaggies on the maps? I have a GO730 with the latest maps and application updates. It's currently 2009 and when I look at my GPS map it looks like I'm looking back to 1989.

Thanks.

Not really........do you happen to have alot of poi categories displaying on the map? That slows down the screen refresh somewhat.

Thanks DHN.

I do have the larger POI file instead of the smaller default one. I'll try and turn off some of the displayed POI and keep the larger file in case I need to search it. Thanks for your help.

What Navcore version have you got running on your 730? the more recent releases have done quite a lot to reduce the road lines to more smoother curves - Mike

What Navcore version have you got running on your 730? the more recent releases have done quite a lot to reduce the road lines to more smoother curves - Mike

I have 8.351 installed installed on my 730.

FWIW, there are no TomTom pnd's (yet?) that use antialiasing for fonts and lines, so no way to eliminate the jaggies. Some other manufacturers do offer that, but TomTom has not yet chosen to. I assume it may negatively affect the screen redraw performance with the current hardware, and there's been no significant basic hardware improvements for awhile now. I expect that will change sometime fairly soon with a new model release, but we'll have to wait and see.

@DHN. You can see the difference with antialiasing if you look at the screen on the device Tim sent you. (I think. . . can't remember for certain if the older models offered it or not)

Last edited:
FWIW, there are no TomTom pnd's (yet?) that use antialiasing for fonts and lines, so no way to eliminate the jaggies. Some other manufacturers do offer that, but TomTom has not yet chosen to. I assume it may negatively affect the screen redraw performance with the current hardware, and there's been no significant basic hardware improvements for awhile now. I expect that will change sometime fairly soon with a new model release, but we'll have to wait and see.

@DHN. You can see the difference with antialiasing if you look at the screen on the device Tim sent you. (I think. . . can't remember for certain if the older models offered it or not)

I know that on certain Garmin units when approaching an exit you get a very jagard exit turn so i assume garmin uses this. I am glad that tomtom does not. A doctor friend had this garmin and hated it because of this problem. Now he has a tom tom and is very happy.

Ask a Question