Airmap 2000

TomTom Model(s)
930T and XXL
I bought an Lowrance Airmap 2000 to use when flying. It came with RAM mounts for both the car and airplane. I have not used it yet but I also got a pack of cd's that says it has 2 million POI's. The mounts look great and could be attached almost anywhere is seems. The unit is rather large, especially compared to the tt, and a little bulky for the car I think but that is not where I will use it. I will report later on my experiences and about the poi's and maps.

I bought an Lowrance Airmap 2000 to use when flying. It came with RAM mounts for both the car and airplane. I have not used it yet but I also got a pack of cd's that says it has 2 million POI's. The mounts look great and could be attached almost anywhere is seems. The unit is rather large, especially compared to the tt, and a little bulky for the car I think but that is not where I will use it. I will report later on my experiences and about the poi's and maps.

I'm not familiar with the Airmap 2000. What did you buy it for? I did a quick google search and saw it listed for $109. Is that right? I didn't know you're permited to use gps on flights.

The airmap 200 cost me $699, the next closest price was a full hundred dollars more. Same identical unit verified in advance. You are allowed to use gps. In fact they have been in aircraft for some time. Commercial carriers got them first and them general avaiation followed when the prices dropped. The new WAAS makes them very reliable and even mine, cheap version compared to the Garmin e.g., will even help you fly your approach. The FAA does not allow it to be the only navigation, so charts as well as other electronic navigational aids are required. But it sure is nice to be able to see if the aircraft is off course and the other bits of information that it provides. The Airmap even had terrain alert built in now, originally it was an option. I will fly with it Friday so I will give you a heads up.

Loaded the software that came with this unit on my computer. This unit has maps of different resolutions. Obviously the higher resolution the more space. I think it comes with a 64 m card to load the terrain features that shows elevation of the topography but does not allow for high resolution of all maps. Lot of details here. This program supposedly allows you to capture high resolution data and import it into the gps. So far I have not been able to get this to work properly but I am still learning the progarm. Overall the gps functions seem to work well although I have not actually flown with it yet. The picture is low resolution but the unit does come with a color screen. Not touch activated by the controls are relatively easy. It comes with its own card reader/writer and I have ordered an extra SD card. The card reader and the unit are matched and you can only load information on a limited number of SD cards. The information on the master card is to be updated reqularly. Every three months or so I think at a cost of $35.

Attachments

• Airmap2000withterrain.jpg
    Airmap2000withterrain.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 439
Oh, I didn't know it was actually used for flying as opposed to just being brought on a passenger plane. Thats pretty cool. I'm guessing I was looking at the wrong device when I said $109:eek:

$109 is a little inexpensive but the price of this unit bounces up and down. The same place that sold it for 699 now posts it for $729. One site that offered it for $679 a few weeks before I bought mine had chanced to $749 when I ordered one. Other sites of course are firm but some show prices of more than $900 that I do not understand.
I do not know whether you could carry one onto a commercial flight or now. Maybe our mod who is in the industry can comment.

Ask a Question