A few dissapointments with TomTom One V3. return for different unit?

Hi there, i'm new to the forums and just purchased a TomTom One v3. I have a few dissapointments with the unit, and am hoping that someone could either tell me some methods to get around these shortcomings, or perhaps recommend a unit to me that might suit me better.

-When planning a route from upstate ny to central jersey, it took several roads through a city rather than taking a slightly lover route (maybe 2 miles more) but that would remain on a major highway. This was routed using the fastest route option. I would think that when selecting "fastest route" it would stick to highways when possible, not leave them to save 2 miles.

-I would be less bothered by the previous issue if it was easier to customize the routes. I tried to "travel via" and i can modify one section of the trip to take a particular road, but i can't seem to do it at a second location, it just replaces the first modification. I read that I could set up itineraries only in the v2 device, why would they remove this in the new version?

-Also as has been discussed in other threads, the ETA is WAY off. I'm not sure if this is partly the reason that the routing sends me through cities. maybe it doesn't think you can go as fast as is realistic on the highways?

-It would also be nice to be able to save a few trips in the unit and select which one you want to execute.

Anyway, these are some of the shortcomings. i'm trying to decide if i want to return the device and get something different. I'd like to hear some input.

Well... it's also a $150 GPS!!
For the price, I think we have a good device!!
We can't have all the features of a $300 or $400 GPS!

yeah, i know it's a low end device. i guess the answer for me might just be that i need to spend a little more.

if i were to get a more expensive tomtom, am I right in assuming that it would give me the same routes as the cheaper ones? If i'm not happy with the routes it gives me, maybe i should switch to a garmin? i have heard that tomtom is more accurate for europe, but garmin and magellan are better for the US.

Eta

The one thing that I am always amazed at is the TT ETA is one the money every time. I just drove from Detroit To Rochester, NY and it was within 5 minutes! Now, I do drive too fast but I also P a lot. :eek: Maybe it evens out.:D

yeah, i know it's a low end device. i guess the answer for me might just be that i need to spend a little more.

if i were to get a more expensive tomtom, am I right in assuming that it would give me the same routes as the cheaper ones? If i'm not happy with the routes it gives me, maybe i should switch to a garmin? i have heard that tomtom is more accurate for europe, but garmin and magellan are better for the US.

Hmmm, I know everone like to pick sides, but I also travel with a friend who has a Garmin. Running side by side sometimes one is better, next time it's the other. While in Tempe, AZ last month they BOTH missed the hotel (Hampton) by the same mile. I think it's just a matter of taste (and money).

It's like the XM vs. SIRIUS debate. Not a nickels worth of difference. :rolleyes:

Now, I do love my TT, no flames please.;)

you can also pick an alternate route,maybe try a diferent routing,like shortest or only major roads,the ttv3 gives you those options,i dont know about europe and such for the tt but im in canada and i tried a magellan and took it back the same day,itdidnt have any map corections and was missing lots of major roads,for the price the ttv3 is pretty wicked in my opinion.:D

picking the shortest route just sends you completly on back roads with the main goal being keeping the mialage at a minimum. this is rarely a fast route. i don't think there is any option to use only major roads, only to avoid major roads.

Read thru the postings and you will find out how to make a custom menu which will give you back the itinerary function.

there are several ways to compensate for these minor travel route differences. TT is not wrong just different in some circumstances.

You can look at the details of the route and then do a fiind alternative and choose to avoid the hwy you choose. Or you can always drive by the suggested turn and let the tt recalculate for you.

If I am going on a 4+ hour trip I do a mapquest look and compare it to the TT planning and make the decision which way i will go.
:p

i am a truck driver and use a tomtom one. now granted i run a lot of the same territories so i get a chance to compare what i know is a better alternative to what the tomtom gives me. in a few cases the initial route it picks for me is pretty good but could be better. in those cases, i make it pick an alternative route using the fastest option and it will almost every time pick the route that i know is the better alternative.

now the tomtom does seem to have a propensity to run you thru the middle of town and a gazillion traffic lights to save you a half mile. one example that works every time i punch in the address is to leave my warehouse to go to a manufactures warehouse about 10 miles away. it wants to run me thru the heart of columbia in an 18 wheeler which ultimately takes me about 45 minutes to run if i follow tomtom. i can leave the warehouse, go strait to i77 about a mile and a half down the road and be there in about 15 to 20 minutes. now if i tell tomtom to calculate the alternative fastest route it routes me to i77 and exactly around the way i go anyway. go figure.

as someone else just said, a different unit may route you the best way this time but not the next. i compared my tomtom with google maps as a curiosity thing. no place in particular. i picked up some software and music cd's, a couple of bills, etc and typed in the different addresses in google maps and into my tomtom to compare the routing. honestly, it worked out about 50/50 on my very unscientific little test. google routed me better on some trips while the tomtom gave me routes i liked better sometimes. aint none of them gonna be perfect. it takes a paper map and your human sensibilities to get the perfect route each and every time. iv'e got a friend with a garmin and he complains to me about it's routing.

now my truck is governed at 70 mph, but i find the eta to be pretty darned accurate, of course it adjusts itself to my actual speed if i am having to drive slower. but then again, when i give a customer an eta, i always tell them it's gonna take me longer to get there than what it will actually take. rather tell i will be there at 2:00 and get there at 1:30 than tell them 1:30 and get there at 2:00

good luck with your decision.

Ask a Question