930 POI Limit

TomTom Model(s)
Is there a limit on how many POI you can have or is it a limit on the POI categories?

Also I have seen some POI editor software out there. Is this the only way to fix the limit issue?

Is there a limit on how many POI you can have or is it a limit on the POI categories?
While there seems to remain a 100 category limit (it was raised to that number in Navcore 6 ages ago), no one I've heard has ever reported a limit to the individual POI count, and there are some folks with some astoundingly large lists out there. I used to think that one of my active categories that has 3300 points in it was big. You wouldn't believe what some other folks are running! I keep about 7000 custom points active at all times, plus what TomTom provides.
Also I have seen some POI editor software out there. Is this the only way to fix the limit issue?
If you refer to the software that merges POI categories, yes, that is the best way to stay under the 100 limit if that is what you're running into.

With Navcore 8,351 loaded to your device you can have up to 255 Custom Third Party POI categories installed to the unit, each category can contain thousands of individual locations - Mike

With Navcore 8,351 loaded to your device you can have up to 255 Custom Third Party POI categories ...
Ah, even better. Missed that increase during the 8.351 release. Have never pushed the old 100 limit (so far).

One note to the OP -- if you've got a great number of "potential" POIs active all at once ("potential" = whether they're within immediate range of your map or not), you may find slower operation, lags in screen update on the nav map, etc. so don't get too crazy with the number of POI that you have "active" (displayable on the map) at any one time.

Thanks. Now that I looked at the poi I added I think they interfered with the ones that comes built in. Deleted them.

I am looking for US Wifi poi.

Thanks. Now that I looked at the poi I added I think they interfered with the ones that comes built in. Deleted them.

I am looking for US Wifi poi.
There shouldn't have been any conflict with the *.ov2 files you added and any built-in POI.

I've also looked for good USA WiFi POI lists. Still haven't run across one I really like. They're either very brand specific, or very localized.

Yes, but as noted, the WiFi options are limited to brand specific (TomTom) or very location dependent (TomTom and 3rd party). The exception appears to be the "WiFi - Businesses W/Free WiFi" at the link you mention, but the list is, for some reason, VERY incomplete. They have supposedly identified all locations of several major businesses, and yet not a single one of them in my particular town shows up on this map. We're in some sort of Bermuda GPS triangle.

Installed the ones from poifactory and turned off all poi except their wifi and could not find a single one on the US map.

Beginning to think it was a waste of time to register over there.

Suppose I could load it into a editor and see what is actually in it?

Installed the ones from poifactory and turned off all poi except their wifi and could not find a single one on the US map.
You may need to zoom in a lot more to see them. They're there -- just not in my town!
Suppose I could load it into a editor and see what is actually in it?
Yes, the *.ov2 you received can be loaded into POIEdit ( PoiEdit - Main ) or Tyre ( Tyre ) or a couple of other tools for edit/view/convert/whatever. I will usually use Tyre for this kind of thing. You can also request that it put up all of the loaded points on a Google map -- that'll show you where everything is.

I thought I zoomed it up close last night to see them. Now that I have loaded it into poiedit I can now see where the closest is to me and see if I can see it.

But you know, now that I have seen whats involved in making a complete US wifi poi its really impossible. So BIG!
Its not like doing retail stores.

Someone has spent a lot of time on this. In fact Im thinking I only need the southeast.

Well I deleted all of the poi in their US file except from NC to FL and they show up fine.

Now go figure. Its either to big of a file or there is a bug.

Well I deleted all of the poi in their US file except from NC to FL and they show up fine.

Now go figure. Its either to big of a file or there is a bug.
Although I've never had my TTs choke on a POI file, it's possible. One interesting idea now that you have either POIEdit or Tyre would be to load the file, make a single edit somewhere where you don't care about it, and resave the file as an *.ov2 file again. Then load THAT over to your TomTom and see if it changes anything. As I say, I am running custom POI files that I generate weekly that have thousands of entries each. Should oughta work!

With Navcore 8,351 loaded to your device you can have up to 255 Custom Third Party POI categories installed to the unit, each category can contain thousands of individual locations - Mike
--------------------------------------------
mikalder
hi new member here,
how would I know if I have this navcore 8.351 install on my unit???
Which is a VIA 1605 TM
thanks.

You do not. That application is for Nav2 devices. Yours should have 12.035 installed. But the number of custom pois still applies.

Check settings-->Me and my device-->About my device.

You do not. That application is for Nav2 devices. Yours should have 12.035 installed. But the number of custom pois still applies.

Check settings-->Me and my device-->About my device.
dhn,
Thanks for the reply
It is good to know that I have thousand to choose to install,
Now if I can only think of how to put them in the category that I want.

Yes I did look I do have the 12.035 install.

Ask a Question