920 mp3 player reset issue

I take many short trips in the car, around 30 mins to 1 hour. I load up some radio shows such as Opie & Anthony (4 hours long) onto my 920 and listen a bit at a time when I am in the car. Sometimes it will take me a few days to a week to get through 1 show. However, I have noticed that when I update my 920 with mapshare and quick fix, the next time I load the GPS the audio track resets back to the beginning.

While this wouldn't be a problem if it was a 4 min song, or even if the TomTom had a halfway decent mp3 player which actually told you the amount of time in your track, the position you are currently at in your track, and a way to meaningfully skip ahead to that position, this is unfortunately not the case. The seeking function on the TomTom is horrible! Is this just on my unit or are they all like that?

With all that out of the way, is there a way for me to update my unit without losing my audio track position, or is there some better way to seek through a track on the 920 which I am not aware of? Has anyone used a Garmin or other gps with mp3? Is their player more intuitive?

Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately, no.

This is common and will always do this when you connect to your computer or remove the SD card (if you have one).

As for me, I have mp3 problems. :D
I play a lot of 1 hour music mixes. When the unit i turn off normally, the track skips to the next one with the same position as the previous track playing.

Having a decent player seems like such an obvious thing but I guess it isn't important enough to TT. Oh well....

MP3 playing wasn't that important when the FM transmitter was broken. Almost every car that had a line in jack had a built-in MP3 player.

Now that the FM is back, a lot more people will be asking for mp3 capabilities. We'll see what Tomtom does.

Have you tried tomplayer or mobilenova? I haven't tried them, but since their dedicated MP3 apps, I assume they'll have better features than Tomtom's offering.

killerz298, if you have a compatible bluetooth phone, you may want to enable the autoquickgpsfix. This way you don't have to plug into the computer for updates as often. I only plug in when I'm testing/resolving other people's issues on tomtomforums. Mapshare has been awesome for the self-editing feature, but I haven't found a real need to get other people's map updates that often now that I have a map subscription.

Last edited:
MP3 playing wasn't that important when the FM transmitter was broken. Almost every car that had a line in jack had a built-in MP3 player.

Now that the FM is back, a lot more people will be asking for mp3 capabilities. We'll see what Tomtom does.

Have you tried tomplayer or mobilenova? I haven't tried them, but since their dedicated MP3 apps, I assume they'll have better features than Tomtom's offering.

killerz298, if you have a compatible bluetooth phone, you may want to enable the autoquickgpsfix. This way you don't have to plug into the computer for updates as often. I only plug in when I'm testing/resolving other people's issues on tomtomforums. Mapshare has been awesome for the self-editing feature, but I haven't found a real need to get other people's map updates that often now that I have a map subscription.
Lets say my phone data with my TT DID work.... which for the time being it doesn't because I screwed something up with it but could most likely fix it if I really cared, would that download mapshare updates AND quickfix? Also, would it not reset my music track if I did it this way?

I think I did try tomplayer some time ago but don't remember how it went. I think when I tried it I opened the application and played the mp3 but it was a dedicated program meaning I couldn't also use the GPS along with it. I don't know if I just screwed it up or if the newer versions are integrated with the TT software but when I tried it I didn't get the functionality I was looking for.

would that download mapshare updates AND quickfix?
No, mapshare updates aren't supported via bluetooth. Just manual quickgpsfix and autoquickgpsfix

Also, would it not reset my music track if I did it this way?
I use autoquickgpsfix, and never actually know when it downloads (Tomtom doesn't alert me). I doubt it would have any impact on the music track, but can't be sure since I never notice it downloading.

Ask a Question