mp3's for tomtom 920??

Help

I spent the better part of the day converting all my cd's to mp3's or so what I thought was mp3's. I have over 4 gig and transferred the music to my sd card and I get absolutely nothing.

I know the card works as I took the old mp3's off of it

I used apple to rip the cd's and notice that they are mpeg 4 format, is this the problem and if so how do I convert them to mp3's to play on the tomtom

thanking you in advance

tim

Tim, does your card have a folder 'mp3' located in your SD card with all the mp3 files installed there?

yes I had everything working and was using mp3's from mp3.com, I emptied the folder and then put all the music that I ripped from my own cd's and I can see the folders but there is no music, these are all installed in the mp3 folder of the 4 gig card. The only difference I can see is that the apple was set to rip as mpeg4's and not changed under the preference to rip mp3's

tim

Help

I used apple to rip the cd's and notice that they are mpeg 4 format, is this the problem and if so how do I convert them to mp3's to play on the tomtom

tim

If you used apple itunes then you will need to convert them as itunes rips music tracks into a protected file with the extension of .m4p or unprotected m4a. You have two options, convert them (take a look here) or re-rip them, preferable not with i-tunes to avoid the DRM issues.

iTunes does not make protected files.

Only songs bought from the itunes music store have DRM or the m4p file extension. If you ripped these files from your CD's, then they are simply aac/mpeg4 audio files; m4a file extention. If you go into the preference window then advanced and under importing switch the import using option to mp3, you can then select all the songs and right click to choose convert selection to mp3. It's faster than reconverting your CD's, but for a moment, you'll need twice the space as you will need enough storage to cover both versions of the songs until you've copied everything. When you're done, if you need the space, just delete the aac files. Also, for things you've bought from iTunes, just burn them to a CD, import them as mp3 files, and you've stripped the DRM and can use them freely with your TomTom.

-If it ain't Mac, it's wack!

Will this work for recent versions of Windows XP iTunes also?

Only songs bought from the itunes music store have DRM or the m4p file extension. If you ripped these files from your CD's, then they are simply aac/mpeg4 audio files; m4a file extention. If you go into the preference window then advanced and under importing switch the import using option to mp3, you can then select all the songs and right click to choose convert selection to mp3. It's faster than reconverting your CD's, but for a moment, you'll need twice the space as you will need enough storage to cover both versions of the songs until you've copied everything. When you're done, if you need the space, just delete the aac files. Also, for things you've bought from iTunes, just burn them to a CD, import them as mp3 files, and you've stripped the DRM and can use them freely with your TomTom.

-If it ain't Mac, it's wack!

Will this work for recent versions of Windows XP iTunes also?

Ask a Question