1605TM does not show up as a Drive on my PC

TomTom Model(s)
VIA 1605TM
I recently purchased a 1605TM and would like to back it up my to my PC. However, when turned on and plugged into the PC USB port, it does not show as a Drive on Windows Explorer (Win 7). I read several posts talking about backing up, so am I misunderstanding something? Thanks.

... it does not show as a Drive on Windows Explorer (Win 7).
It won't. You must be accustomed to (or have read about) the previous series of TomTom models that always appeared as external storage devices.

Your 1605 shows up as a network adapter since it's actually a tiny little mini-server. This is accomplished with a 'bridge driver' for Windows that converts the USB connection to a TCP/IP connection.

There's no way to fully 'back up' a unit like this, although if you have installed the application, you'll see a systray icon down in the lower right corner, and under "Add community content", you can move personal stuff (custom POI and the like) between PC and the unit.

The good news is that a problem with content is pretty well recoverable on these units since the firmware has an internal backup, and your maps are held 'on account' for you on TomTom's server if they should ever become mangled or disappear. Of course, since this is a "TM" model, you will always have the latest map being made available to you by their server anyway.

In any case, be sure that you have downloaded and installed the requisite 'MyDrive' application here: https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/mytomtom/getstarted/download.jsp#dl-windows

Last edited:
An update to my issue. I have found a TomTom folder in Users/AppData/Local/TomTom/HOME3. It contains a folder Cache and files Config (XML doc), Lof (Text doc), prefs (Config settings and TomTomSupporter_em_US.gm (QM file). Is this what I should be looking for?

An update to my issue. I have found a TomTom folder in Users/AppData/Local/TomTom/HOME3. It contains a folder Cache and files Config (XML doc), Lof (Text doc), prefs (Config settings and TomTomSupporter_em_US.gm (QM file). Is this what I should be looking for?

****** File should be "Log (Text doc)"

Sorry - I did a lot of editing on the previous post, possibly after you had read the original. It explains (I hope) all.

As to your last comments, none of the files you see there are related to the content of your unit. They're all part of the MyDrive configuration and cache area used to update your unit.

Ask a Question