Any way to make TomTom power on/off with ignition...

TomTom Model(s)
One V2, GO 720, GO 2505
It would be nice if it came on automatic when start car and off when car is off....

I would love this option as well. Question for folks here, is there an SDK available for the TomToms? If so, curious if it provides a way to detect if the TT is connected to charger or not. If so, you could develop a small app that checks if it's charging / connected to AC. If so it would stay on, if not you could tell it to shutdown. Not the most eligant solution as you would need to shutdown the app when not connected otherwise TT would continue to shutdown on you but I think it would work for those folks who keep it constantly connected (like me ;) ). I haven't programmed for a while but if someone know if a SDK exists and point me to it I could take a look.

My coworker got The Garmin Nuvi 350 when I got the TomTom One and his asks about going to battery when turns off car... so Garmins must have that feature. Of course the One was $200 cheaper.........

My older TT Go300 turns on and off with the ignition when docked to a switched outlet. It's a shame that they dropped that feature on newer models.

yeah trey,
Garmins do have that feature alright.
and once again, I definitely agree with you...
to pay $200 more for that unit just for that option is little ridiculous.
I like my TT ONE :cool:

I wish that instead of taking the option completely out, they would have made it a software option that you could turn on and off. I loved that feature on my Classic.

It was funny because I just bought my 910 this week. When I got home the first day of using it, I turned off my car and waited the 2 to 3 sec it takes to shut down. I stared at it like willing it with my eyes. After 10 secs I realized that it wasn't going to do it. I checked this forum to find the sad news.:(

hermdog

I had some problems with that feature when running into a bump or something like that, so I bet they took it off to avoid anyone suiting them for things like: "Got into a huge crash, while driving my TomTom shut off and I was trying to turn it back on, it's not my fault". You know how bad things may get...:rolleyes:

yes this is correct oscar. They fixed the shut off solution when hitting a bump with a firmwire which took off the auto turn off feature.

wonder if a firmware option would allow this feature to come back.... (I wouldn't use it though)

I just bought a TomTom One yesterday and have been considering returning it because of this issue.

Does this mean it is acceptable to let the battery run out, then charge again when you restart the car?

A power saving sleep function or a power off delay seems like a smarter solution.

Hasn't anyone forgotten to turn theirs off?

I have forgotten to turn it off, but it was for 15 mins max. I am not in the habit of leaving my ONE in my car for longer periods of time.

I just bought a TomTom One yesterday and have been considering returning it because of this issue.

Does this mean it is acceptable to let the battery run out, then charge again when you restart the car?

A power saving sleep function or a power off delay seems like a smarter solution.

Hasn't anyone forgotten to turn theirs off?

I purposely killed the battery on my first couple times running the TT ONE to insure the battery life.

It started out for me without any problems.
If you are solely gonna use it for auto navi purposes, I don't see why it
would be a problem, except the fact that thieves might see it easily at night.
I keep my TT ONE in the car overnight, but I just remember to turn it off...
And unless you are gonna go to some distance,
I don't usually use it for local travel...
I only use it when i need it: POIs, new places, etc etc...

Yikes. I won't leave my unit it my car.
It's possible only on the x10 series which involves using an older firmwire.

I know this is old and not evan being discussed anymore but what the heck im back on after being away for a while and its one of my tom problems I have problems with my tom doing this all the stinking time I have a remote start on my 2003 grand marques and the stupid tom always turns itself on and tonight I picked up my tom bag and it was red hot holey crap looked in and the stuped thing was on somehow again when I put it in it was off hmm :eek: GHOST in the machine ahhh its alive!! friggin software glitches and I have the new version but as I know as a pc tech and as has been discussed on here new is not always better new on pcs make them run like crap look at vista and IE7 junk but anyway thats the fun I live with a Tom with attitude does what it wants O and bad attitud yells when you dont go its way lmao picky I want to go my own way

i don't understand why they can't have it turn off automatically if power is off for more than say 5 or 10 seconds instead of any power fluctuation. Or prompt to power off. This should be simple programming options for them... :confused:

well for me i wouldnt like that feature (auto off) I hated it on my garmin!

Mine does turn on by itself when i dock it in the car (which i like)
Im a driver and i turn my car off and on alot and i had to turn it on many times throughout the day:mad:

Ask a Question