Does anyone know if Treo 680 will pair with 920/930?

Hi all,

I'm looking into a TT 920 or 930 and was wondering if anyone knew if they would pair with my Treo 680 for voice dialing and such.

thanks in advance!

I am testing this right now, and will let you know in the morning. Right now, it seems like it is pairing fine for hands free calling, but the data service refuses to connect. I will continue to work on this and will hopefully have some luck once I talk to tech support.

I had initially had to play some games to get my Treo 680 to pair with my GO 920 (which I have since forgotten :( ), but it worked fine until I upgraded to the 2.11 firmware the other day.

Since then, I can't get them to pair, whether I start the pairing from the GO 920 or if I start the pairing from the Treo 680.

I am quite frustrated, especially since there is no way to downgrade my firmware.

If anyone has managed to pair the two with the 2.11 firmware (or with the older firmware), I would greatly appreciate it if you would post the steps you went through to get things to work.

Thanks!

I have gotten the pairing to work, and have duplicated it a few times(when my 680 just refused to talk to my Tomtom 930 for odd reasons).

To make it easier on you, I will suggest you do it as follows(keep in mind I am going from memory here)..

On your Treo 680:
go to your bluetooth settings, either by tapping the Blue Tooth icon on the top of the screen, or through the top level of the phone(where you see all your icons).

tap on "Setup Devices"
tap "trusted devices"
tap "Add Device"

You should get the TomTom Go 920 or 930(depending on what you have) showing up, with the prompt for the security key.

Enter 0000

Now you have your TomTom set up as a trusted device, this will eliminate needing to enter the 0000 security key as the Tomtom probes for the phone.

Next, on the main Bluetooth screen on your Palm 680, change visibility to visible. You can turn this off after you have everything set up.

So, the phone is set to go at this point, so, go to your TomTom. I don't know the exact differences between the 920 and 930(I have a 930).

Tap your TomTom, and go to Mobile Phones, and then Manage phones.

You will get a screen "To use the hands-free features, you need to establish a Bluetooth connection between your phone and your TomTom Go 930. Do you want to do that now?" with a No/Yes option.

Say Yes.

It reminds you that you need Bluetooth to be enabled. This is why you turned on Visibility above...

So, say "Yes"

Mobile Phone:
Searching for Phones

It SHOULD have found your phone.

Connect to XXXXX?
No/Yes

If your phone is not listed, check your Bluetooth settings on the Treo 680, make sure the visibility is set to be seen, and put in a name for your phone(to distinguish between different phones)

Checking phone features:
If your phone asks for a password, enter '0000'

Since we set it as a trusted device, you shouldn't get prompted for a password.

You will get a list of features found: hands-free calling, Wireless data connection, Phonebook, Tone Keyboard(DTMF).

Continue

Another suggestion to make the TomTom a trusted device(always allow).

Continue

TomTom Services:

To use TomTom services, you need to set up a wireless data connection. Do you want to do this now?

No/Yes

The TomTom will now probe the phone...

Select your phone model:
tap "other" on your TomTom

Checking wireless Data connection settings...

Select your country:

Select your Provider:

Note that for AT&T Wireless, it is REALLY spotty to get AT&T, or the normal Cingular Wireless to work. I use Cingular Wireless(Media Works) to get past this.

Also, if nothing else works, from your Treo 680, go to your web browser and make sure it logs in. For some odd reason, you need to do this sometimes to wake up the data pass-through.

You will then get a couple of notices saying that it has connected properly.

I suggest you test things, make a call from your TomTom, and see if it goes through. You can also try going to Traffic, or use another service to check the data connection before you try all this in a car.

I have also run into trouble getting the phonebook to transfer. I need to call TomTom to see if they can help with this or not. I THINK that it transfers from a SIM card properly, but not from the memory in the phone.

I hope this helps...

Thanks for the clear directions.

Initially things still didn't work. However, after having reset the Treo a few times in my attempts to fix things (to no avail), I decided to do a hard reset of my GO 920 via the reset button.

Voil?! Once I reset the GO 920, I was able to successfully pair from the Treo 680 to the GO 920, and from there use the 920's bluetooth menu to recognize/configure use of the Treo.

New rule of thumb: if things aren't working, perform a hard reset on all of the devices involved in the activity.

BTW - Phonebook transfer from the Treo 680 only picks up contacts from your "favorites" list in the phone application, not your entire contact list. (I don't know if it looks at the SIM card since I don't keep any numbers in it.)

TGIF

Last edited:
Glad you got things working.

Just for future reference, TomTom refers to a pin reset as a 'soft reset' while 'return to factory defaults' is considered a 'hard reset'.

I would've thought the opposite .........but that's just me.:confused:

Initially things still didn't work. However, after having reset the Treo a few times in my attempts to fix things (to no avail), I decided to do a hard reset of my GO 920 via the reset button.

Voil?! Once I reset the GO 920, I was able to successfully pair from the Treo 680 to the GO 920, and from there use the 920's bluetooth menu to recognize/configure use of the Treo.

I tried the pin reset on the TomTom (I have a 930, not a 920), and at the same time, I also tried a battery reset on my Palm 680.

Still the same result as before: The first progress bar reaches 100%, and Bluetooth works great for voice. Then, I continue to data connection. After choosing "Cingular Wireless (media works)", the new progress bar only gets to 65%, then stalls out there for a few minutes. The TomTom then gives up. So, I have working Bluetooth voice for handsfree calls, but no data.

On my Palm 680, I have a clear signal, and I "woke up" the Internet connection by browsing to a few pages while waiting for the Bluetooth pairing to finish. From the phone, it worked, and I could see web pages normally.

Got an interesting error I hadn't seen before, on the Palm: "Cannot connect to the Internet because a Dial-Up Networking session is active. Please close the DUN session and try again."

So, the TomTom is trying to use a DUN session to dial out and get the data. I also got the same error I got on the Palm, when I tried it last time: "Network Response: Operation Failed".

It's unfortunate. However, at this point I'm not sure what more I can do.

I don't really want to bring this up with AT&T, because then they might decide to sting me with the very steep extra monthly charge for tethering! Do you know if AT&T considers GPS devices to be "tethering", or is that only for connecting a PC via the Bluetooth link? How does AT&T tell the difference between a GPS device and a PC?

I'm guessing that the ability to allow connections from outside the phone has been somehow turned off on my account. The Palm seems to be trying in good faith, to forward the connection to the network, only to get back the "Operation failed" message as a response.

Ok, that may be a part of your problem, you were using the browser while it was trying to pair, which may have caused additional issues.

Now, do you have the latest software for the Treo 680? If you never applied the latest update(I got mine from AT&T many months ago) that might add to the problems.

So, browse on the Treo, just one page where you see data flowing. Then STOP browsing, go back to the phone app. Since you paired for hands free, you should see the little headphone icon up near the upper right hand corner to show you have a hands free unit working.

Now you can just go into the services section on your Tomtom, and pick something like Weather. It will tell you you need a data connection, and would you like to set one up now?

So, on we go, when it asks to pick a phone, say "Other". Then, country(USA), then provider(Cingular(Media Works)). When it does the probe, you WILL get an error on the Treo, so quickly hit the "ok" to get rid of that message. If the error shows up again, hit the OK again to get past it.

Looking at the Treo, a good sign will be when the little headphones icon changes to a laptop icon, showing the link is working.

I am sorry you are having such a hard time. One potential issue could be any third party apps you have on your Treo. In the past, when I had some really freaky issues, I did the hard "restore to factory" on my Treo, which wiped EVERYTHING. Before you do that, sync to your computer so nothing gets lost when you do that.

New rule of thumb: if things aren't working, perform a hard reset on all of the devices involved in the activity.

BTW - Phonebook transfer from the Treo 680 only picks up contacts from your "favorites" list in the phone application, not your entire contact list. (I don't know if it looks at the SIM card since I don't keep any numbers in it.)

TGIF

Contacts on the Sim card will also transfer to the Tomtom.

Ask a Question