xl330s question

I just received my 1st GPS and have a question for the experts. I have made a backup (as suggested here) and would like to set up my TT with a password protect code. When I connect to the computer via USB, and select "Operate my XL in TT home, I receive this message, "This function is not yet supported for your navigation device or operating system". According to the manual I should be able to do this. Any help would be much appreciated....
Rgds Larry

Home requires a special .dll file to be dl and installed in order for the Operate My Unit function to work. It appears as if this file was not dl and installed properly.

I'd suggest trying again and see if Home gives the message about needed to install a file to make the functionality work. This message is NOT part of the main boxed area so is easy to miss. It appears at the top of the screen as a rule.

If indeed you don't see it, then try uninstalling and reinstalling Home. If that doesn't work, I guess you'll need to call support. The number is 866-486-6866.

After you uninstall Home you need to remove all other traces of the application. Specifically the entire folders located in the following two paths:

x:\Documents and Settings\"user name"\My Documents\TomTom
x:\Documents and Settings\"user name"\Application Data\TomTom

Upon reinstallation Home should ask for your country, if it does you did a complete uninstall and when you select Operate My XL a pop-up show request to download the needed dll.

If this doesn't work then as dhn suggested contact tech support.

HTH,

DeliBaker

I have the same XL 330S with exactly the same issue. This is one of my favorite ways to program the favorites and plan routes on my GO 700 and it's killing me that I can't do it with my shiny new 330S.

The re-install didn't fix it. The re-install while deleting those directories listed didn't fix it. Calling tech support revealed this information:

Operate My XL been offline for a couple of months.
It should be working again in a few weeks.
Uninstall your current version of Home and install a new one in about a month to see if it works.

WTF? This is app version 8.014 with Home version 2.5.2.60

Is this really possible? Reading this thread makes me wonder if the tech guy is smoking crack:
https://www.tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=13186

Last edited:
Gosh.......some of the replies users are getting from TomTom are just, uh, what's the word I'm looking for, uh, '"horse poopy!" (yeah, that's 2 words) :rolleyes:

Some are reporting they've discovered that Home will not install/run if the host computer does not have **at least** Microsoft Net Framework 2.2 installed.

I don't have a MS link to get it but if you search your Add/Remove Programs screen in Control Panel, see if you have a framework installed. If not, I suspect a search as MS site will find it for you.

Thanks, and yes, I have 2.0 SP2 installed. Reading elsewhere leads me to believe that you can't even install Home without it. All of my Home works, albeit a little bit unstable, except for the Operate My XL button.

I am trying the support via email route now to see if I get a different and hopefully more useful answer :D

:cool: For what its worth, here is the response I received from TT.

"Thank you for contacting TomTom. We appreciate the time you have taken to contact us regarding the ability to set your password through the online emulator. We are happy to help!

The 'Operate My Device' icon will link you with our online emulator. This will allow you to plan trips, view trips, and set your password onto your TomTom XL 330. This feature is currently under development. As such, it is not yet accessible. Please rest assure that TomTom is doing everything possible to complete this quickly and efficiently. We appreciate your patience while we continue to improve your customer experience."

I have a XL330 S and the operate my Xl in home has not worked for me either. So you are not alone.

..Bob

PS: Bought new 12/10/08 the "Operate My XL" never worked the rest of Home works fine.

Last edited:
Heh, this morning I got almost the same response. I find it hard to believe that they don't have a boilerplate response to something they must get questioned about many times a day:

The emulator feature of TomTom HOME, which allows you to simulate using your device on your computer screen and set up a password for your device, is not yet compatible with some of our newest models. We anticipate having this issue corrected in the near future with an update to the TomTom HOME software. We appreciate your patience while we work to improve your customer experience. We apologize for any inconvenience.

So, now that we have positively concluded that this is not working, does anyone actually know how long it hasn't been working? Has it EVER worked for the XL 330 series? I remember it not working before it was stolen back at Thanksgiving...which is why I didn't have it password protected, making it even more bizarre that I was recovered.

i had this same problem. i just bought mine today and booted it up and it worked. but the language would change to a forgeing language automatically. so i uninstlalled the home software and reinstalled, and now it ownt let me use it, i get the same message every tiem.

Can you do this? In Control Panel-->Add/Remove Programs. See if you have a listing for Net Framework installed and, if so, what version.

If you don't, here's a link to get it and install it.

Then try the reinstall of Home. You still may not be able to run the emulator (Operate my Unit) but it's worth a shot.

Well, it may very well be that TT has not as yet provided the emulator functionality for that model within Home. I presume they are working on it.

Can you do this? In Control Panel-->Add/Remove Programs. See if you have a listing for Net Framework installed and, if so, what version.

If you don't, here's a link to get it and install it.

Then try the reinstall of Home. You still may not be able to run the emulator (Operate my Unit) but it's worth a shot.

i have net framework 1.1

Then humour me, go to the link I provided, get the file offered, dl and install it. Won't hurt anything and may, just may, help.

Yes I can do the password thing. I had it doing that for about 2 days and quickly got tired of that. I may regain patience and re-activate it.

Ask a Question