xl updateing shock!!

TomTom Model(s)
xl2 iq routes
hi every one newbie.
ive just been on tomtom home with my new xl2 iq europe and updated the maps and found to my utter horror that to update my maps to the lateset available ive got to remove 8 of the 23 that are allready on there. why iam annoyed is i paid for a device that has europe on(23maps) and i want that not a device that slowly but surelly will become a uk-ie device in 6-12mths time as i update them regular.yes i could have bought a different model but the xl2 was all i could afford,this seems like a way to make people change there device on a regular basis and it stinks.:mad:

The zoned European mapping isn't a very clever move IMHO and worse still, with the hardware you own you can't increase the storage space on the device, as there is no memory slot.

You can download all four zones to your PC and swap these on/ off the device as you wish to cover all Europe but you cannot carry the full coverage on the device. Some users have suggested carrying a laptop and swapping maps part way through a long trip, considering the XL_IQ2 uses a USB_1 interface it takes about an hour to swap a map over, not viable when on the road IMHO.

By all means phone TomTom support up and complain, if nobody lets them know they are far from happy they won't change anything and we are all stuck with stupid zoned maps. The number you require is 0845 161 0009 - Mike

Welcome to TTF.

With the 860 map, ALL Europe maps had to be offered in zones for those models without a dedicated sd slot.

The entire map is downloaded to the computer and you can change zones using Home's Manage Device, device tab, maps.

You'll see a link for 'change zone'.

At least, this is the method for many models but don't know if it applie to yours.

i have sent a complanit of to tom tom and would think the reply will be a standard company type reply. lots of rubbish and no action bit like a politican.me thinks tom tom knows this happens when people update but arnt that concerned.:mad:

update.

have since been in contact with tomtom and was offered a refurbed go 710 at a very good price so i asked a few quiestions about the unit as regards the age of the maps and did it come with the latest map gurrentee.
"no sir it dosnt come with the latest map gurrentee"
my reply was
"so ive now got to pay for the latest maps and the update sevice"
"yes sir you do"
so what started out as a good deal turns into not such a good deal,and the upshot of this is ive returned the unit to halfords got a full refund and purchased a garmin off amazon. lets see how that works. when returning a unit to halfords you need a returns number from tomtom customer service,

The 710 wasn't a very good "swap" and you are better off having got your money back to be honest - Mike

The 710 wasn't a very good "swap" ...
Frankly, I was astounded to hear that they even have any 'refurb 710' units to send. That's a 5 year old design. :eek:

Ask a Question