Go 910 fell apart, Shocking Customer Service

Wanted to take the opportunity to share sorry tale of TomTom's customer service. I am a BIG fan of their products, but unfortunately my latest TomTom (the 3rd I have owned) has literally fallen apart - due to the dodgy new mounting bracket. This didn't put me off, thought it would be nice and simple to get TomTom to put the matter right. But oh no, far from it. I've reproduced the thread below (starts with first mail at the bottom, most recent at the top).

Do TomTom always treat their customers so shabbily when they need help?

My latest mail to TomTom:
"I have not "lost the rubber grommit off the back of the TomTom", the Rubber Gromit (which judging by the glue that remains on the unit should have been securely attached) fell off when attempting to remove the unit from the docking station. As such the unit has fallen apart during routine use due to a manufacturing defect or design fault. Had this not been the case, then the grommit would not have fallen off during attempts to remove the unit from the docking station.

I need this issue resolving, as currently the unit no longer sits securely in it's mounting bracket, keeps cutting out on handsfree mode (as I assume the contacts no longer make good contact) and under consumer law can no longer be considered "fit for purpose".

If the TomTom repair centre will not repair the unit, then I assume the only other actions that can be taken are replacement of the entire unit or a refund. Please advise which of these TomTom are prepared to offer and how I go about returning the unit.

Again may I please politely point out that I am a customer and am requesting help with a faulty product that I bought from your company. Simply saying "Sorry we can't help" is not only extremely poor customer service, but is denying me statutory rights under consumer law.

I look forward to a response offering me a practical solution."

Their Response:
"I'm very sorry that we are not able to be of further assistance. You have lost the rubber grommit off the back of the TomTom. This is not a fault with the unit. We do not have rubber gormmits to send out and the repair centre will not add a rubber grommit onto a unit if it comes in for repair.

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team"

My Follow Up:
"Thank you but that has to be the worst example of "support" I have come across.

May I politely point out that I am a customer, and have chosen to spend a considerable amount of money on a product made by your company. This product (just a few weeks old) has literally fallen apart, and I am requesting assistance in repairing it!

Unless I receive a slightly more helpful response I will have little choice but to take this matter up immediately with your companies senior management, as well as making a claim via my credit card company for goods unfit for purpose."

Initial Response from TomTom:
"Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support.

I regret to inform you that we do not have a spare rubber grommits to send out. We are also not able to book a device in for repair for having lost it's grommit.

With Best Regards

Initial Request:
"Hello

My TomTom Go 910 (fantastic piece of kit apart from the AWFUL mounting solution) has had a bit drop off. At the bottom of the unit there is a small piece of rubber attached, which stops it vibrated when mounted in the really awkward new mounting cradle. Well - the rubber bit dropped off and has disappeared down the back of my cars dashboard :-(

I dont really want to return the whole unit because of such a small fault. Is there any way you could just send me a replacement part?

Hope you can help."

customer service

1. Never use the support emails - generally a waste of time.

2. Call the 866 number. That gets you real people in N America.

3. If it has been less then 30 days, can you bring back to vendor - I did that with Best Buy when my first mount broke in 2 weeks.

TomTom Support came back with solution and apology

Always happy to put the record straight. TomTom have now come back with a solution and an apology:

"We apologize for our previous miscommunication. In fact, we do have these "rubber docking enablers" available and can provide you with a replacement. This miscommunication was caused by an internal misunderstanding, for which we apologize.

Two "rubber docking enablers" are on their way to you today. Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

With Best Regards

Thats pretty quick. Not sure what internal miscommunication means, but they seemed to rectify it pretty quickly.

This might be a bit off-topic. I received my 910 with free tmc antenna last week but was loaded with 6.5 maps. I wrote to them yesterday and today I got quite a positive reply. I just have to send them the product codes and proof of purchase.

Ask a Question