XL 430S mis-pronounces my city

The sample pronunciation of Eugene that was posted sounds fine to me. Here's what I've done so far.

Here's a sample of:
Loquendo TTS/data/roadnrEnglishUS.lex
where I inserted "Eugene" = "\f@-`j-u:-Dg-i-n"

"estate" = "estates"
"ests" = "estates"
"Eugene" = "\f@-`j-u:-Dg-i-n"
"expy" = "expressway"
"ext" = "extension"

Is this where I should put "Eugene" = "\f@-`j-u:-Dg-i-n" ?
because as I said previously it did not correct the pronunciation.

I am using the "DAVE" voice. I have only "DAVE" and "SUSAN", since I deleted the other voices.

I have not renamed cphoneme.dat to cphoneme.old as there was some disagreement if that would help.

This mis-pronunciation of my city is annoying, so I really appreciate all the help and advice.

Thanks, Ken

Also, forgot to ask... how do I test the pronunciation without driving out of town to program the GPS?

Thanks, Ken

As I noted above, "With version 6 voices, the additional file called EnglishUs6.9.lex was available, and that's where I used to make all of my tweaks for this kind of change". I believe you're running v7 voices, and it appears that the file referenced above is no longer being included in that version. It is possible that roadnrEnglishUS.lex (about the only place left in v7 that might work) is not being referenced when handling city names as used to be the case with EnglishUs6.9.lex where you could tweak just about everything. I must say, I'm still surprised that it's not working.

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification on the v.6 and v.7 issue. I'll try it again next time I'm outside of town enough for it to say "Eugene".
Anyone else know how to get it to test pronounce my city?

Thanks, Ken

Ok I figured out how to get it to "talk" during a Show Route Demo. It's still grossly mispronouncing my city name.

Ask a Question