Via 1535TM will not boot up. Goes into bootloop

TomTom Model(s)
VIA 1535TM
I turned it on today to use it (like i do everyday) and all i get is the boot screen for about 15 seconds then it resets itself and does it all again and again..........

I cant even hook it up to the computer. Computer will see it for 15 seconds then poof. Ive reset the unit about 5 times now and even once where a bunch of writing came up.

Can i fix this? I have the latest map and updates/software.

I turned it on today to use it (like i do everyday) and all i get is the boot screen for about 15 seconds then it resets itself and does it all again and again..........

I cant even hook it up to the computer. Computer will see it for 15 seconds then poof. Ive reset the unit about 5 times now and even once where a bunch of writing came up.

Can i fix this? I have the latest map and updates/software.
To clarify in my head what you have already done - when you say that you have reset the Via, which of the following have you done so far? (You may have done more than one.)

(1) Turned off the Via and turned it back on again.

(2) Gone into the Settings menu and clicked on Factory Reset. (If so, did you answer "Yes" to all of the questions about erasing your favorites, etc.?)

(3) Pressed the power switch to turn off the VIA, and kept it pressed until the TomTom Logo appeared and a "drum-beat" sound was played. This takes about 20 seconds. (If so, did you release the power switch immediately after the "drum-beat" occurred?)

(4) Pressed the power switch to turn off the VIA, and kept it pressed until long after the "drum-beat" sound was played, and a screen of text finally appeared.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

Cant do anything within the gps cause it wont boot all the way. I see the bootup screen and thats it. Then it resets itself again and will do that till the battery dies.

I have done the factory reset more times than i can count and it wont do anything. Plugging it in wont do anything either.

You can't have done the factory reset (#2 in -et-s list) if you can't get past the boot screen.

If you cannot get the PC to recognise it as a Network device (the VIA models don't show up as a mass storage device or new "hard drive") there's not a huge amount we can suggest, BUT there is a last-ditch recovery mode you can try

Press and hold down the power button for minimum 20 seconds until you hear the drum roll sound, and CONTINUE to hold it down until you get to the black and white text diagnostics screen (with battery and other info).

While you are in this diagnostic screen press the power button 3 times very quickly (literally - one-two-three, without waiting between presses).

The device should go then into the Recovery Mode (a screen will appear with a moving cogs animation in the middle, followed eventually by another screen with a picture of the device, a computer and a red cross (or something like that).

Now, while it is in that state, connect the device to your PC and open MyTomTom. A recovery build will be installed onto your unit. The recovery build should be the latest stable release.

If you can't get even to the diagnostic screen in those instructions, then I think it must be a hardware fault.

Ask a Question