Via 1535TM issues

TomTom Model(s)
Via 1535TM
I have come to the conclusion that my Via 1565TM is a piece of junk. Every time I try to go some place in Fresno, CA it cannot find it. First time it couldn't find the street. The next two times it found the street but said that the street number does not go that high. Streets that have been here for over 50 years. It also took three times to install the last up-date. The last time it stopped at 100% but didn't finish. Let it set for over a hour before shutting it down. It gets me, I have a cheap old Nextar that is about 8 years old. It finds the places. So what is wrong with my Via 1535TM.

Have moved the post to a more relevant forum here.

Can you give an example of a street and number in Fresno that the unit doesn't find? Do you have the latest application (12.035) and map (895 -- released yesterday)??

900 N Adler Avenue, Clovis 93611. It said 599 was the highest number. And 2700 E. Gettysburg Ave, Fresno CA. Same thing. Gettysburg is one of the oldest streets in Fresno and the house was built in the 50s. I find them on my Street Atlas 2008. Yes I have up dated it, and have kept it up dated before. I have found places else were when using it.

Why would you ask that?

Anyway, with my Go 1535 Live model here, I had NO problem finding either address.

1. Drive to-->(select CAL) Clovis--N Adler Ave-->900 and it found it right away.

2. Drive to-->Fresno-->E Gettysburg and it listed two streets, one in Fresno and the second showing Clovis. I selected Fresno. I then typed 2700 and it found it as well.

I am using map 895 released two days ago. The map is USA_Canada_Mexico.

What is your application and map version? You didn't reply.

Question, was my message moved to where no one can see it?

I found it OK... :)

1. Drive to-->(select CAL) Clovis--N Adler Ave-->900 and it found it right away.

2. Drive to-->Fresno-->E Gettysburg and it listed two streets, one in Fresno and the second showing Clovis. I selected Fresno. I then typed 2700 and it found it as well.

I am using map 895 released two days ago. The map is USA_Canada_Mexico.

I just tried the same two addresses on the v890 'North America' map in my ancient Go940, AND on a really old v880 'USA and Canada' map in a new Go1005.

No problems finding them at all.

To try to make it go wrong, I even tried typing "North Adler" and "East Gettysburg" in full, and it still found them
Can you describe exactly the steps you took which failed?

Thanks for the help. I see what I am doing wrong. My other TT and Nextar ask for street name first, then shows the street as north, south, east or west. Funny thing is that some time my 1535 shows the street as N, S, E or W. Is TT ever going to allow a PC to program the GPS with stops and via. Also I have friends in car club that use a GPS as a speedometer. Will TT make a app to use large numbers that will fill the screen? I am sorry for asking why my message was moved. I though it was being moved because TT didn't want it to be seen by others. Thanks Again

First order of business... TT has nothing to do with this site, and your friendly moderators don't collect a paycheck from TT, either (though sometimes we think they SHOULD pay us!) We will often move messages to a board area where we think that users are MORE likely to look for answers to specific types of problems.

As for the street issues ...
Each of the manufacturers has their own means for dealing with the N/E/W/S problem. In addition, many cities have THEIR own ways of dealing with it! Where I live, north and west are assumed on the city street map, so the only time you need add a direction to a street name is for "south" or "east" locations on a street. On the whole, TomTom does pretty well at getting it the same as the city/town names them.

Next item: "is TT ever going to allow a PC to program the GPS with stops and via." Geez, I HOPE so, but I'm beginning to wonder. That was one of the nice features of the older models that we've lost in the newer ones that I really miss. So far, we can't even get the old style itinerary planning in any form, much less via a PC, so who knows?

As to the larger number for the speedo, that's something that has come up even on the older models, but on those models, there was 3rd party software to address that issue. Since TT has never gotten around to supporting 3rd party software for these newer models, there's no way to accomplish it the way we used to do it. A number of us still keep our 'old' units running, sometimes side by side with a new one, just because we miss those features. Woe unto he who would try to snag my trusty old GO 740 Live TomTom from my vehicle while I was watching. Granted, I wouldn't have much need for it in the county clink, but ...

Ask a Question