US Recomendation Wanted

Hi;

I want a tom tom with all the features. I drive a limo and am looking for a new navigation system. I want to be able to save locations with one touch and to go back to them with one touch. I also want to play mp3 files and answer my phone with it. I want it to have a speaker out jack and a fm transmitter. I would also like lifetime traffic and maps. Could you please recommend a unit? I am not sure if I should look at the GO 920t or the XXL 540t or the go 740 tm. Too many models! Thanks for any help in my decision.

We're in a bad transition period for TomTom "higher end" units right now. The most recent GO models have some deficiencies that are still being addressed (part of this having to do with the fact that the new version of Home isn't ready for prime time). So the 1XXX and 2XXX models are still on my "wait and see" list until we know what they'll be able to do and when.

The GO920 is obsolete, and you probably didn't need the European maps and inertial guidance that made it a GO920 (vs a GO720). For whatever reason, TomTom decided against selling the GO940 and 950 in the U.S.

Problem with the GO740 is that they 86'd the FM and 1/8" audio out options along with the MP3 player, and the only source for the dock that gives you audio out is the UK, if you can even find one there. If you could, there's a 3rd party MP3 player. They never sold the requisite dock in the U.S. Apart from these audio issues, it's good stuff.

POSSIBLE alternative, if you can still find one, is the GO730. New 730s are becoming as scarce as hen's teeth. It still has the 1/8" audio out and will give guidance over FM provided you're playing music at the time (long story). Still available at Amazon, among other places. Note that there are refurbs being sold, but those typically do NOT come with the "Latest Map Guarantee". The only problem with the 730 is that it does NOT come with the "Lifetime Maps" service.

Dude - you're between a rock and a hard place with your feature set right now, and I can empathize. If I hadn't had a kind soul send me an audio dock from the UK for the 740TM, I'd still be tooling around with my 720 as my "daily driver".

Ask a Question