trapster

Trapster works OK, but not on any TomTom, nor really any standalone pnd with one possible exception. A nuvi 295, pretty much a smartphone without the phone (simcard) is the only pnd I can think of that might work. It's not truly a "connected" gps, using wi-fi instead. TomTom does have it's own speed camera application for it's Live devices, but I've not heard anything positive about it yet. Perhaps someone here using it can comment. Another option would be PocketGPSWorld's well-regarded speed camera subscription.

I need to clarify my previous post somewhat. After reading your question in another thread I realized you were looking for a service similar to TomTom's speed camera reporting that you had used previously on your Ease. Trapster does offer a poi file for fixed/static redlight and traffic cameras, and does work. I've used it with one of my Garmin's. But it won't report moving or temporary speed traps or radar. For that you would need a device with two way connectivity such as a smartphone or maybe the nuvi 295. But as a replacement for TomTom's service on your Ease it would likely be just fine.

Um ... aren't the Ease and the equivalent Start2 the only units that do NOT support custom *.ov2 files? Or is our chart amiss?

I'm new to all this. If I understand all this correctly, I can load on the new menus and then install trapster and then see all the traffic cameras, is that correct?

I'm new to all this. If I understand all this correctly, I can load on the new menus and then install trapster and then see all the traffic cameras, is that correct?
Negative. For a TomTom, what you receive is a POI (point of interest) file - no different from Starbucks or Home Depot POI files. The associated icon will show up on the map on your unit.

What dhn corrects for me is HOW the Ease uses *.ov2 (that's what a TomTom POI file is). The Ease originally provided no setting to create an audible warning of a POI, and unless you were glued to the screen (not a good idea), there was no way of knowing you were coming up on one of the Trapster points.

As dhn notes, there's a trick to getting that function back, and for the Trapster POI data to be of use to you, you'll need it. It's similar to another thread we have here that explains how to get back some of the menu functions that TomTom decided to leave off of these units. What you will be doing is creating a file that replaces the "built in" menu structure with a "custom" one that includes the feature you need.

mvl - might need to clarify the Ease/Start2 "Custom POI Support" block to indicate that the problem is with the audio, not the loading and use of *.ov2 (e.g., "Yes - No audio warning" or something along those lines.)

It would seem to me that if I install the new (old) menus and get a "manage pois" option, I could set the alert for the safety camera pois. The TomTom safety camera alerts worked when I first got my EASE in September. But for some reason they have stopped working. What am I missing?

Trapster works well for me. Most of the verified places where speed traps give me warnings via my settings of (ex:) 500 feet ahead with a custom verbal warning, "Speed trap, speed trap", do not have any Police at the time. I can however see hidden locations around bends in the road, etc. where they could possibly hide. I use the speed traps, cameras, red light notifications, etc. The price (free) is right, and it keeps me aware of possible tickets ahead ! I have an XXL 540TM.

It would seem to me that if I install the new (old) menus and get a "manage pois" option, I could set the alert for the safety camera pois. The TomTom safety camera alerts worked when I first got my EASE in September. But for some reason they have stopped working. What am I missing?
The safety camera data that you got directly from TomTom wasn't a "custom" POI, and I believe it even came with a selectable list for alerts. Don't forget that we're talking about "custom" *.ov2 files here.

As for the 2nd issue (the TomTom delivered safety cam data stopping), that's not the first time we've heard of that. Need to poke around and find those other threads for that problem.

Rustybird, I have an EASE. If I install the "old" type menus found on "GPS Passion" I get a setting for setting the alert distance for POIs. Is this what I need to do to get trapster to work on my EASE?

Rustybird, I have an EASE. If I install the "old" type menus found on "GPS Passion" I get a setting for setting the alert distance for POIs. Is this what I need to do to get trapster to work on my EASE?
It's what you need to get audible warnings as you approach a POI from the list you get from Trapster.

If I use the "old" menus to set an alert distance for a POI, does that setting remain if I revert back to the new "easy menus"?

Have never had a reason to try that, but once the configuration is set, I would think it would remain set. The menu changes are only to give you access to the ability to do the configuration.

I'm curious, though -- why would you want to revert to the EasyMenu system?

From a sticky post on the "old" menu system:

"A couple caveats: If you do a custom menu, there seems to be no way to get the Map Corrections and Help functions back. They seem to be embedded in the new EasyMenu system as code, not as a selectable menu item that can be programmed."

I like the map correction feature and will go back to the "easy" menus to get it. GPS Passions says that once you add your poi alerts and set a distance, that setting remains when you revert to the easy menus.

Ask a Question