TomTom's GiveGive

TomTom Model(s)
720, 330S
I know this is probably common knowledge by now, but I didn't see it previously posted. I saw that TomTom was doing it's givegive promotion again for the holidays:

Now through January 5, get a $100 rebate when you buy a new TomTom ONE, ONE 3rd Edition, ONE XL, ONE XL?S, GO 920T/920, GO 910, GO 720, GO 510, RIDER and RIDER 2nd edition.

http://www.clubtomtom.com/general/givegive-is-back/

In all honesty, what's the point of TomTom doing this? I checked out all the retailers that are not eligable and it's every major retailer. Any chain store, the $100 direct rebate is not valid. Anything from Bestbuy to circuit city to office depot to bj's and cosco. I don't think there is one place I have heard of on the list of eligable retailers

In all honesty, what's the point of TomTom doing this? I checked out all the retailers that are not eligable and it's every major retailer. Any chain store, the $100 direct rebate is not valid. Anything from Bestbuy to circuit city to office depot to bj's and cosco. I don't think there is one place I have heard of on the list of eligable retailers

If you buy it at the major retailer, you already got the $100 discount instantly at checkout since it's built into their prices.

Example: TomTom One 3rd Edition retail price is $249

Currently Staples is selling it for $149 (the day before Thanksgiving, it was priced $249)

The TomTom promotion merely assures that you will get the $100 rebate even if you DON'T happen to buy it at one of the major retailers on the list.

Last edited:
If you buy it at the major retailer, you already got the $100 discount instantly at checkout since it's built into their prices.

Example: TomTom One 3rd Edition retail price is $249

Currently Staples is selling it for $149 (the day before Thanksgiving, it was priced $249)

The TomTom promotion merely assures that you will get the $100 rebate even if you DON'T happen to buy it at one of the major retailers on the list.

I thought the same, but it even gets more complicated than that. Any listed dealer can participate on any single unit, or any combination of qualifying units they choose, for any giving sale date. Thats why no one store has ALL units marked down at a time.

This is where the mail in rebate comes in. If you purchase a unit in one of the qualifying stores, but the store did not advertised the $100 givegive for that unit, you can use the mail in rebate.

For instance, I purchased a new 910 on clearance sale last week from office depot, but office depot was NOT running the $100 givegive on the 910 that week. The store manager said the $100 mail in rebate would be valid, because they did NOT participate in the givegive on 910. I was skeptical and called tomtom. A tomtom rep said that was true. They said that tomtom tracks which stores and which items are participating each week. And you CAN use the rebate for the items not in the givegive for that store on that week.

A store can have their own sale or clearance an item, and it has nothing to do with the $100 givegive.

Sounds logical to me and I am mailing in my rebate.

My 910 came with v650 maps. I also used the "latest map guarantee" and upgraded to FREE v7.10 north america maps (after a brief phone disagrement with tomtom). They wanted to give my v665. After being switched to a manager, I quoted the meaning of "latest" from the dictionary (most recent; current) and challenged them to show me otherwise. If not, that translates to v7.10.

So in my case, I got a good deal even if I don't receive the rebate.

Randy R.

I thought the same, but it even gets more complicated than that. Any listed dealer can participate on any single unit, or any combination of qualifying units they choose, for any giving sale date. Thats why no one store has ALL units marked down at a time.

This is where the mail in rebate comes in. If you purchase a unit in one of the qualifying stores, but the store did not advertised the $100 givegive for that unit, you can use the mail in rebate.

For instance, I purchased a new 910 on clearance sale last week from office depot, but office depot was NOT running the $100 givegive on the 910 that week. The store manager said the $100 mail in rebate would be valid, because they did NOT participate in the givegive on 910. I was skeptical and called tomtom. A tomtom rep said that was true. They said that tomtom tracks which stores and which items are participating each week. And you CAN use the rebate for the items not in the givegive for that store on that week.

A store can have their own sale or clearance an item, and it has nothing to do with the $100 givegive.

Sounds logical to me and I am mailing in my rebate.

My 910 came with v650 maps. I also used the "latest map guarantee" and upgraded to FREE v7.10 north america maps (after a brief phone disagrement with tomtom). They wanted to give my v665. After being switched to a manager, I quoted the meaning of "latest" from the dictionary (most recent; current) and challenged them to show me otherwise. If not, that translates to v7.10.

So in my case, I got a good deal even if I don't receive the rebate.

Randy R.

That's extemely complicated and I don't doubt that's what you were told.

However, if the rebate form specifically excludes a retailer and I send in a receipt from that retailer, I'll expect my form to get rejected.

I paid $105 at Staples on Black Friday and can't imagine I'd ever get the $100 rebate especially since Staples is on the list of excluded merchants.

Even if I bought a unit from Staples that was not discounted I still wouldn't expect to see the $100 ... again since Staples in on the excluded list. The rebate form is a legal document and ultimately the only thing that matters is what's written there.

That's extemely complicated and I don't doubt that's what you were told.

However, if the rebate form specifically excludes a retailer and I send in a receipt from that retailer, I'll expect my form to get rejected.

I paid $105 at Staples on Black Friday and can't imagine I'd ever get the $100 rebate especially since Staples is on the list of excluded merchants.

Even if I bought a unit from Staples that was not discounted I still wouldn't expect to see the $100 ... again since Staples in on the excluded list. The rebate form is a legal document and ultimately the only thing that matters is what's written there.

Yes, I know what the rebate form says.

It all started when I purchased the 910. I showed office depot the rebate form and asked them if they were deducting the $100 and was told by a manager that the 910 was not included in THEIR program. I showed them their name on the form and was told by the manager that it means only on their promotional items, which the 910 was not. They said to mail in the rebate.

I called tomtom when I got home and asked them. I did not approach tomtom demanding a rebate, but was actually asking in doubt. They said the same thing. TomTom explained it this way:
The quote on the right side of the rebate says: Offer is NOT valid at retaillers offering instant tomtom givegive savings. My unit was
NOT included in the instant savings, thus qualifies for the rebate.

They both told me to send in the rebate.

Your black friday purchase of the one WAS an advertised givegive promotion and does not qualify. The 910 was not.

As I said, I am happy, rebate or not. We will see what happens. But companies should deliver what their employees promise. Like the "latest map" guarantee.

Randy R.

As I said, I am happy, rebate or not. We will see what happens. But companies should deliver what their employees promise. Like the "latest map" guarantee.

I agree, they should, and I hope you get it without any trouble.

However rebates are processed by third parties so you may have to do some follow-ups to finally get it done.

When companies administer poor customer service, CSRs will tell people all kinds of things you can't hold them to later. It's wrong but unfortunately it happens sometimes. You call back and they either deny it or they admit it but tell you, "we made the mistake, but since it's not in writing- too bad". It's happened to me a couple times and threat of legal action was the only way out.

From what I understand of the GiveGive promotion, you have it right Randy. The discount either comes through the store, or is available through the mail-in with TomTom.

Anything from Bestbuy to circuit city to office depot to bj's and cosco. I don't think there is one place I have heard of on the list of eligible retailers

Just to check I looked at bestbuy.com and they have all the newer devices on sale for the givegive. They just say "sale" and "you save" but its essentially the givegive. For example, the 3rd edition is going for $150, the XL-S for $300... etc.

From what I understand of the GiveGive promotion, you have it right Randy. The discount either comes through the store, or is available through the mail-in with TomTom.

Just to check I looked at bestbuy.com and they have all the newer devices on sale for the givegive. They just say "sale" and "you save" but its essentially the givegive. For example, the 3rd edition is going for $150, the XL-S for $300... etc.

Buddharay,

Thats the way it was explained to me. I did some research and could not find any dealers that were not on the list.

Yes I agree that any new unit that has $100 off would be in the program. But units not advertised as $100 off, would not be and would be elgible for mail in rebate. Most stores mentioned the givegive.

On mine, I wanted to make sure that office depot wasn't collecting the $100 from tomtom and not passing it to me. Thats exactly what would happen on any unit that might include a store promotion along with the givegive or even on regular priced items where they might not be passing the savings on to us.

Again, we will see. I do expect to have to "clarify" this with the rebate center as they will have some employees that know and some that don't.

Randy R.

Ask a Question