Rear View Mirror Mode?

canderson

TomTom Model(s)
GO720, GO740, GO 1535, Via 1535, Via 1605, GO 52, GO 600, GO 620, GO 630, GO Discover, TomTom Bridge
Forgot to mention this one yesterday. Probably something new in 8.350, but have only seen it once.

Left the house yesterday with "Home" still the destination. 8.350 didn't show my current direction with a reverse course option with some turns -- it showed me as if I were traveling in reverse with my arrow pointed behind me, and with the map view as though it were out by back window with my "target" receding!

In short, it looked like I was driving away from home in high speed reverse! Don't think I've ever seen that one before.

A power down/up resolved it.

I only use the 2d mode, but I noticed that in 8.350 the map redraws are on a low priority thread, and map rotations are on an even lower priority thread. When it's too busy to rotate the map, it'll just fix the arrow to show true direction.

Maybe the tomtom was too busy (conneting to satellites, pairing with a phone, background rerouting around traffic, etc) that it didn't have time to rotate the map yet.

Forgot to mention this one yesterday. Probably something new in 8.350, but have only seen it once.

Left the house yesterday with "Home" still the destination. 8.350 didn't show my current direction with a reverse course option with some turns -- it showed me as if I were traveling in reverse with my arrow pointed behind me, and with the map view as though it were out by back window with my "target" receding!

In short, it looked like I was driving away from home in high speed reverse! Don't think I've ever seen that one before.

A power down/up resolved it.

Rear View Mirror Mode...... that's funny right there....:D

I only use the 2d mode, but I noticed that in 8.350 the map redraws are on a low priority thread, and map rotations are on an even lower priority thread. When it's too busy to rotate the map, it'll just fix the arrow to show true direction.

Maybe the tomtom was too busy (conneting to satellites, pairing with a phone, background rerouting around traffic, etc) that it didn't have time to rotate the map yet.
That's an interesting theory, and may have some merit, but it certainly wasn't busy doing very much. No phone, satellites already locked, no traffic enabled.

The display was so bizarre that I probably didn't explain it clearly enough to visualize it, but the "Rear View Mirror" was accurate enough.

I do run 3D all the time. I had left home, fired up the TomTom and had not yet cleared the route to home from the night before. Yes, I can find my way home, but often like to have a projected ETA:p

I had obtained a good satellite lock, and was cruising down the road about to do a nav to favorite (work). I looked down, and rather than the view being that of approaching what was ahead of me, what I was seeing was a view of what was receding behind me. It appeared such that I was driving down the road in high speed reverse! The view showed routing that would return me home as would be expected since I hadn't cleared a route. I was running away from home (backwards, no less), or so it would have appeared!

I've never seen my TT show a reversed view like that before, and can only attribute it to the 8.350 firmware. After amusing myself with that view for a minute or two, I shut the TT off, and turned it on, and voila, we're now moving in a forward gear again.

That's an interesting theory, and may have some merit, but it certainly wasn't busy doing very much. No phone, satellites already locked, no traffic enabled.

The display was so bizarre that I probably didn't explain it clearly enough to visualize it, but the "Rear View Mirror" was accurate enough.

I do run 3D all the time. I had left home, fired up the TomTom and had not yet cleared the route to home from the night before. Yes, I can find my way home, but often like to have a projected ETA:p

I had obtained a good satellite lock, and was cruising down the road about to do a nav to favorite (work). I looked down, and rather than the view being that of approaching what was ahead of me, what I was seeing was a view of what was receding behind me. It appeared such that I was driving down the road in high speed reverse! The view showed routing that would return me home as would be expected since I hadn't cleared a route. I was running away from home (backwards, no less), or so it would have appeared!

I've never seen my TT show a reversed view like that before, and can only attribute it to the 8.350 firmware. After amusing myself with that view for a minute or two, I shut the TT off, and turned it on, and voila, we're now moving in a forward gear again.

Maybe you found a black hole. You weren't aging in reverse at that time were you?:D

Maybe you found a black hole. You weren't aging in reverse at that time were you?:D
If I was, I didn't feel it afterwards. If I was, my wife didn't compliment me on it afterwards either!

If the tomtom can't calculate a roundabout loop going home that is at most 5 minutes longer than a uturn home, it will route an immediate uturn. If it does this, each time you move a foot further away from your house it recalculates the same uturn and runs full processor in both the calculation and the loquendo generation of the "make a uturn" TTS. So that could be the 100% processor drain.

I've seen this happen going the wrong way down a mapshare-faked 1-way road, but it's also possible if you have no 5-minute round-the-block alternative.

Try this to replicate. Drive out in the same direction for a couple hundred feet. Then backup a bit and stop so the screen points to your house. Then route a straight line to your house. Then start driving forward, and see if the rear-view starts happening. If it does, stop driving and wait to see if it says "make a uturn" and eventually rotates the screen. That would prove my theory.

Canderson, what do you have against WD-40!?!?!?!? WD-40 is the shizznit!
It's a long story having to do with a nutcase poster that frequented some other forums some years back. Went under various names including MACOP and either TheAwesomeOne or AwesomeOne -- I forget which. Was one of those people that was so peculiar that you do a google just to see what else pops up under the same handle. Seems she carries WD40 instead of mace since she'd been busted back in Ohio for using the latter a bit too often.

As for WD40 itself -- lousy lubricant for most things, but nice for busting rusty stuff loose.

Anyway, I tried MVL's suggestion, and could not replicate. Am thinking this was just a problem with my 720 not yet having had its morning coffee.

Ask a Question