Puzzled

TomTom Model(s)
GO 700
I have a Tomtom 700 and very recently spent 40 quid on an update and a years supply of same. However, in the window of my satnav it still says version 7.903, the same as it was before I did the update. however, I believe the latest map is 865. Why would this be. When I look at the device system information it shows the latest update and when I click on 'update device' it says there are no items available. I have tried to access two postcodes that are at least 5 years old and they dont show. Not very satisfactory and I dont understand it. mervy:mad:

When you tap the satellite bars, the next screen shows the application installed (that's the 7.903).

Now, tap the version number and the following screen shows the map installed and its version. That one should show 865.

Hi DHN - Yes when I tap the satellite bars it shows 7.903. Tap this and a window opens up showing ' device AK8SL.........................etc etc........Boot 5.4201. Map 'Western_Europe-Map v568.0. Language; English UK.'

Thats it!! No mention of the new map I downloaded a few days ago for Great Britain and Republic of Ireland. Does this mean that my downloaded map is not there ( as I have strongly suspected due to 5 year old addresses still not being accessible on the satnav.? Thanks - mervy

Hi Again. When I go to Tomtom home and 'Manage my Go' it shows the map I am referring to and also states 'This item is on your navigation device'. Yet when I tap the version 7.903 it only shows the words 'Map of Western Europe' and does not mention the 'United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland' one??

Am having a go at your recommended procedure for extracting etc etc with Winrar but am a wee bit out of my depth and am struggling

Thanks for your help and will perservere
mervy

DON'T MESS ABOUT WITH WINRAR JUST YET!

That info screen ONLY shows the map you have got CURRENTLY selected (i.e. the old Europe map)

If you want to switch to the new UK map you need to go to "Manage maps" in the Preferences menu and select "switch map", then choose the map you want to use.

Also, you do not automatically get the latest postcodes files.

You have to manually download them.
There are probably instructions in this forum, otherwise I can point you to them on a UK specific forum.

Last edited:
Hi Andy that worked a treat. Now Uk and Ireland are on the screen as the current map. Perhaps you could point me towards the UK forum for downloading postcodes.
Thanks
merv;)

Thanks dhn.. knew they'd be here too.:)

(In fact as I was writing this I saw the topic is in the "Latest threads" box about an inch to the right!)

Hi Guys sorry for the daft question but how do I extract the files. I cant open this link. have downloaded winzip and regwork but no further on. #thanks merv

Hold on chaps- have just succeeded in getting this into the the zip folder in the root. What does that achieve? Does that put all current postcodes into the unit and they should be recognised, provided of course that the mapmakers know about them? My develpment is up 4 years and the latest postal file has put my property very close to where it should be but not precisely into the street I'm in, rather into one nearby. Better than before however! Thanks guys for your help -dont think Im going to be able to improve on this. merv:)

You EXTRACT the contents of the compressed (zip) file into the zip folder. You don't put the compressed file itself into the zip folder.

Use a file extractor such as WinRar to do the extracting.

Once the UK files (there will be two) into the zip folder, then attempt again to use the postal code for navigating. Any better?

Ask a Question