POI Icon requests

I'm getting better at making and manipulating actual POI files, but I'm no good at making icons. Could someone more talented than I please make the following:

--Target Store icon that uses a red other than FF0000 (as this shows up transparent on many screens)

--a generic icon for a lake

--a generic icon for a stream

--a generic icon for a non-classifiable POI's (something fun, maybe)

--a generic icon for a mountain/summit/hill

And then I have a question. I downloaded (from someone here, I think) a huge folder of POI icons. But most of the ones for specific retail chains (e.g. Whole Foods, Starbucks, etc) are very blurry on many of the menus. In fact, no matter how small I make the Whole Food icon, it's still very blurry. Is there a way to fix this or another source for these icons?

Thanks much, as always.

p.s. I'm getting closer to having a really nice DC Area Speed Camera POI, but it's taking a lot of time to finish.

Ill bet you 20 bucks that Pedro can come up with something in a couple of seconds. My Rest Area one for V1.6 was a red square for some reason. He made me a nice Rest Area one in no time!!!!

----------------------

Sorry to sell you out Pedro....LOL....but you do great work!!!!:D

I only made the lake and stream. I did them quick. If you want something different I can do more research on a better icon.
Im still looking to make a summit/hill icon for you.

Attachments

• Lake stream.zip
    2.3 KB · Views: 368
Thanks Pedro! I love both of those. I sent you a message with my email. Once you hear from you, I'll send the POI's I mentioned in teh other thread.

You rock, dude! Thank you so very much.

One more request. I fulfilled someone's POI request for Perkins Restaurants, but don't have an icon. I'm sorry. I just suck at them.

You're welcome!!

I enjoy making icons. Let me know if you need any other requests. I made a sticky so members can ask for their request.

Hey, do u have poi for grocery stores for U.S.?
Why do we have to find these poi's, I think Garmin products have full load of poi's automatically loaded......

The tomtom has a few of them loaded. Custom POIs that we provide here on this site just has more information you may want to know about, such as address and phone number displayed as a name. Custom pois also have a specific icon which makes it easy for know what poi you would like.
This thread is for making custom icons for custom POIs.

Two questions for Pedro...

1. I know that the Bitmap format does not allow transparency. Can you confirm there is no trick to get the POI icons to have transparent backgrounds in the TT? Example: a certain color would be ignored and display as transparent.

2. When making my POI ov2 files with MyPoi.jar, the results are easy enough to read and understand except for one part. What do the numbers at the end of some of the lines mean? Some lines don't have this at all. Example: R(3.5/5)

Thank-you!

1) I'm not sure if there is a color that would be transparent. It would be great if there was!

2) I have notice those numbers as well. Sorry, Im not sure what they are used for.

I know the colour red will be shown as transparent in the car icons and menu options but haven't tried it on POI icons though it should be the same.

Based on what I read in your other posts, I tried the red and can confirm it does not work on the POI icons on the TT One 3rd Ed... it only shows up as red.

When I used an older map, the white was transparent. Later, it went back to recognizing the white. Im not sure why it did this but doesn't happen anymore.

When I used an older map, the white was transparent. Later, it went back to recognizing the white. Im not sure why it did this but doesn't happen anymore.

I do know for a fact that there's no transparency in the BMP format. So maybe Nav 6 just ignored the white parts... now Nav 7 doesn't.... just a guess.

GIF and PNG do support transparency. And sometimes transparent areas in GIFs display as red in some low end graphics programs.

Is the Navcore system dumb enough to get fooled by incorrect file extensions? Maybe you could take a GIF with transparency and just change the .GIF to a .BMP... Yes, I know this doesn't really change the type of file it was but it may be a way to get this to work. I'll try this later if somebody doesn't beat me to it.

GIF & BMP are very similar formats though... both are "indexed" color but do believe that GIF if just a compressed version of BMP.

I do know for a fact that there's no transparency in the BMP format. So maybe Nav 6 just ignored the white parts... now Nav 7 doesn't.... just a guess.

GIF and PNG do support transparency. And sometimes transparent areas in GIFs display as red in some low end graphics programs.

Is the Navcore system dumb enough to get fooled by incorrect file extensions? Maybe you could take a GIF with transparency and just change the .GIF to a .BMP... Yes, I know this doesn't really change the type of file it was but it may be a way to get this to work. I'll try this later if somebody doesn't beat me to it.

GIF & BMP are very similar formats though... both are "indexed" color but do believe that GIF if just a compressed version of BMP.

The answer is "NO".

I tried it. Taking a 4 bit (16 color) GIF with transparency and simply changing the extension to .BMP results in a generic maroon square.

Ask a Question