New XXL550M user question

TomTom Model(s)
XXL 550M
My new XXL550 will be here next week. This is my very first car gps unit, and I have a couple of questions.

Can someone tell me exactly what I have to do once I receive the unit, in order to get it registered and or activated, and to download the latest map update?

My main computer is Win7-64bit, so I guess I won't be able to use this computer, and will have to resort to the wife's Vista PC.

Any help will be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,
Jim

You should be able to use the W7 computer to install Home 2 from tomtom.com/home.

Before doing anything else, make an Explorer, not Home, backup of the unit's contents. If not sure how, see here: https://www.tomtomforums.com/t17864-how-backup-contents-your-unit-computer-restore.html

Also, you will need to activate the lifetime maps with the code found on the card marked DO NOT DISCARD in the package of materials. Call CS at 866-486-6866. Don't waster your time trying to activate it online.

Don't some people have problems with the 64-bit version of Win7 and Home? (or is that only MyTomTom?)

If you do... I think you can run programs in 32-bit mode or XP emulation mode? (a bit hazy here....)

Other than getting Home, registering for the lifetime maps and making that backup (not using Home!) you should be good to go.

Once you've had a play, there's lots you can do to personalise it

You can add new map colour schemes, new voices, new car cursor images (even your own car), new sound effects, new start-up and shut-down screens....

....and most important of all you can add your own Points of Interest (POI) files. The built-in categories often leave a lot to be desired, so adding your own for the things that interest you is almost a must.
The sort of things you can add range from Speed camera alerts (better than the built-in ones), particular shops, hobby and sports-related places etc. etc. can all be downloaded from the web, and you can make your own for family and friends houses etc.

Thank you, DHN and Andy....

I've read numerous trouble reports of folks trying to use Win7-64bit, so I thought I'd ask anyway.

I've been reading everything I can get my hands on, and I think I have a pretty good grasp of things.

I will be loading the menu mod file as soon as I complete the backup, as there are numerous features contained in the 'old' menus that I plan to use.

I've also got a couple of .itn files already waiting to be loaded....question though, can I have more than one itinerary file loaded, or am I limited to a single? I am correct in that with the menu hack, you can load/create an itinerary file, and then use that as a navigable route?

Thanks again..
Jim

Hmmm... a word of warning. Don't rush to update the software to the recent v9.430 if it is offered by Home....
I've not seen ANY reports on the forums yet to say that custom menus still work with that software (and a couple of unconfirmed reports that it may not).

As for the other questions
1. Yes, you can have several itineraries stored on the device (I don't know if there's a linit, but it's quite a lot). Obviously you can only actually LOAD one at a time.

2. As far as I know it will work... but we don't have that model in the UK.

That's correct. With the custom menu you get itineraries. With the standard menu you don't. And, as Andy says, with the 9.430 application, the custom menu no longer works, it seems.

I have an XXL550 with 9.430 and SwitchMenu.
Itinerary planning (and the other mnu items) still seems to work.

Hmmm . . . I've not seen ANY reports on the forums yet to say that custom menus still work with that software (and a couple of unconfirmed reports that it may not) . . .

Mine is business as usual - my signature has at least implied as much since updating. :cool:

I use Win7 64-bit with no problems.

@Alfie
I have Tripmaster loaded, and find that there's a problem (perhaps similar to the days when the 'hook' code was developed) where Tripmaster and 9.430 have this initial fight for control of the screen. It jumps wildly back and forth at the beginning, and then although reduced in frequency, continues to do so on my 740. Are you not experiencing any of that?

So, will the xxl 550m, with the menu hack, give me all the capabilities of the 540M, or are some of the 540's capabilities not carried thru to the 550?

@Alfie
I have Tripmaster loaded, and find that there's a problem (perhaps similar to the days when the 'hook' code was developed) where Tripmaster and 9.430 have this initial fight for control of the screen. It jumps wildly back and forth at the beginning, and then although reduced in frequency, continues to do so on my 740. Are you not experiencing any of that?

Nope - nada. "Height" however has exhibited a new quirky characteristic with the upgrade; it now only appears when I tap on the status bar, but even that is somewhat an improvement since it makes my main screen less cluttered.

Wish I could help, but unfortunately I have no good ideas on a solution for your jitteryness . . .

Ask a Question