XXL550M Won't Turn On

I updated to the latest map, then clicked the "disconnect" button in TomTom Home. When the "safe to disconnect" message appeared, I turned off the unit. Now it won't turn back on. Any help would be appreciated.:confused:

Now it won't turn back on. Any help would be appreciated.:confused:
What does happen when you press the power? Anything?

With the unit off (well, that's a given in your case), press and hold down the power button for a good 15 seconds and wait until you hear the drums, then release the button. Let's see if you can reset it.

The charge light shows by the USB plug point, so it's getting power, but otherwise it's "dead" - nothing happens when I press the power button. I tried re-charging overnight then pressed the power button for 15 seconds (plus more), but nothing happens. I'll call TomTom customer service today and see what they say.

The charge light shows by the USB plug point, so it's getting power, but otherwise it's "dead" - nothing happens when I press the power button. I tried re-charging overnight then pressed the power button for 15 seconds (plus more), but nothing happens. I'll call TomTom customer service today and see what they say.
Probably a good plan. If you can't even force the reset so your computer will recognize the unit, I'm afraid there's not much we can do. Odds are that you'll have to return the unit.

Keep us posted.

I brought it with me to work, and now it's doing the TomTom drums/loading when I hold the power button for 15-18 seconds, but then goes black after about 20 seconds. I can't connect to the computer here, so will try again when I get home tonight. I did a complete backup in Windows before updating, so hopefully I can restore anything needing restoring if it will connect to TomTom Home on my home computer.

Last edited:
If you can get as far as the drum roll, then the computer 'should' see it when you connect to it.

If it can, make an Explorer, not Home backup of your unit's contents.

Then in Windows: Start-->Run-->cmd and in the box that opens, run this: chkdsk X: /f where X: = the drive represented in Windows by the tomtom.

Then, format the unit. Don't use quickformat.

Restore the Explorer backup. See if that helps.

If you can get as far as the drum roll, then the computer 'should' see it when you connect to it.

If it can, make an Explorer, not Home backup of your unit's contents.

Then in Windows: Start-->Run-->cmd and in the box that opens, run this: chkdsk X: /f where X: = the drive represented in Windows by the tomtom.

Then, format the unit. Don't use quickformat.

Restore the Explorer backup. See if that helps.

Thanks for the info., I'll try tonight. I see a lot of people were having similar issues with the XXL540 in another thread. Hope this works.

Problem Disappeared - Very Mysterious

After I got home I connected the unit to my home computer, did the 15 sec. re-set, and it connected to Home with no problem, then I was able to install a Mapshare update, go through various functions using Home, and disconnect it. After disconnection, it continued to work fine, so I have no idea what was going on earlier. Thanks for the suggestions above.

Ask a Question