New 910 is having issues

TomTom Model(s)
I got a 910 today, bought it from the states and shipped to Australia.

Anyway I unpacked it and did the initial preferences setup, then I immediately backed it up.

Then I put the Australian map on it. After doing this it won't boot past the splash screen. So I'm thinking the Aus map has somehow done something weird to it.

How do I roll back to my backup, when I try to restore it comes up with the restore screen for a couple of seconds and then does nothing. I have read it just updates files that aren't present it doesn't actually wipe the drive and start fresh. Am I going to have to delete everything off the 910 and then restore??

Any help would be much appreciated.

Well just in case anybody read my first post and was playing along at home I shall tell you what happened and what fixed it.

I was on an old firmware and installed the new v675 Australian map. After doing this I installed the latest firmware. Once the new firmware went on the 910 wouldn't load past the Splash screen.

I tried installing every single backup file I had with no luck. I then went around to a mates and installed all his backup files but it still wouldn't go past the splash screen. It would get to the splash screen and after a while make a pop sound on the speaker and then the display would dim. Needless to say I thought I had royally stuffed it up beyond all repairs.

I deleted the Australian map and any related file, but everytime I tried to turn it on it would create several files, inclduing an Australian*******.mac file.

At 1am here in Australia my friend found the application to roll back the 910 to version 6.03?? I think. I thought we have tried everything else so why no give it a try. As soon as the old firmware went back on she came to life. I then updated to the new firmware and it was all good. I then installed the v675 map and I'm as happy as larry.

One last thing before I go to bed. The restore function in Home has to be the worst piece of software I have ever encounted. Why call it restore if it isn't going to overwrite any files, why even warn that files will be over written when it doesn't. Piece of junk. Sure backup so you have a copy of all the files but if you need to put them back on the TomTom you have to use windows explorer. It just doesn't make sense to me.

I had the same problem and call tech support. There was a conflict (or so they say) with the old version of firmware and the new version. They had me install and older version. I went to www.tomtom.com/4987 and installed the application. Then I was able to reinstall newest firmware.

Hope this helps. :eek:

Yeah thats what I did to get it up and running and now its working very well. I'm very happy with it. I made a custom camera flash sound effect for when I drive past speed and red light camera's.

Ask a Question