Need New TomTom, But Which One?

My TomTom510 decided to die on me at the weekend. Won't charge or switch on, either with car charger or mains charger. Due to return to Florida in November and already have US maps from last trip in 2007. Can anyone suggest a replacement model that would accept US card. Not wanting to break bank if possible.
Thanks

SuperMod Mikealder has a much better handle on this than I do but, from my understanding, current maps are locked to a device (meaning, no sharing) but maps that originally came on a sd card ('the 's' standing for Secure) apparently will work in any unit that takes a card.

But, pm him for (proper) information if he doesn't see this thread within the next day.

If the SD card is the one that came with the 510, I think it'll be locked to the device, not the card. But I'm not 100% sure.

If you purchased a map upgrade on an SD, the map will tied to the card, not the device.

Are you permanently moving to Florida? If so, wait until you get back to US so that you can buy a cheap Tomtom with US maps preinstalled. Other than bluetooth and ipod music, the cheapest Tomtom for sale today will do everything a 510 did.

If other features matter to you (I highly recommend IQroutes), let us know which features matter and we can recommend a replacement.

Ask a Question