My wish list

I wish for a gps that can:-
a. At the simple press of a button can reverse the route already taken.
b. That apart from postcodes etc will accept an input in lat/long and OS GB
c. The mapping software is capable of displaying third class roads.
d. Will accept the input of several via's on a route.
e. Does not pronounce road numbers as an integer ie A1198 should be pronounced as the "A eleven ninety eight and NOT "A one thousand one hundred and ninety eight.
f. Does not attempt to pronounce foreign (or Welsh) place names.

What I don't need is:-
Any fancy third party applications loaded onto the device such as MSN, MP3 player etc
A moving map, so that whilst looking at the map I'm piling into the vehicle in front.

Is there such a device out there?

Welcome to the forum, Your wish list presents quite a challenge, I assume you are looking to use the device for both on road and off road use in the UK?

There is a nav unit made by Road Angel (the RA-7000) that provides on road navigation and can use Memory Map to display OS maps, the only problem is I would never recommend the device having used it as both on and off road its performance and feature set is rather dire!

The best compromise might be to consider a PDA with integral GPS receiver or even a HTC PDA based mobile phone that can be used for on/ off road depending upon what software you have installed to it. The PDA unit can also be used on motorbike/ mountain bike/ on foot and in car depending upon what you want to do with it as long as you put it in a suitable waterproof case (Otter Box are well worth looking at, or Over-Board who offer less phyical protection but they are water proof).

As for route reverse its not going to be easy, off road is possible but on road the way all devices work will struggle to reverse a route.

Let us know more about your application/ use/ vehicle type and rough location and we can offer additional advice, if you don't want a map display at all then its going to be very difficult to answer your questions, ever thought about not looking at the screen when you need to concentrate on the view through the windscreen? - Mike

Ask a Question