My enchanments wish list for the iphone app

Hi,

There's a few annoying things about the menu's that I'd like to see addressed in a future release. Mainly, to do with excessive button presses whilst driving.
I hate having to back out of each the menus to get back to the main navigation screen. Add an EXIT to each and every menu page button which takes you right back.
Quicker access to the 'Voice Volume' setting. I find myself going to it quite frequently because sometimes I'm rocking out with the music up loud, or sometimes it's down very low, but I want the voice guidance to stay around the same level.
I'd also like to see the song/artist name of music tracks and maybe even have some finger gestures to control music playback without having to hit the little button.
It's worth remembering that people are driving when using this and the menus should be designed with that in mind.

And that's my two cents.
Damien
Sydney, Australia

First up, love the app, never let's me down.

I'll add one thing that I would love to see:

I travel often and I'm starting to get a rather huge favorites list. I would love to be able to create folders for each town I visit and put my favorites in those. Have one massive list of favs of all the towns I visit is annoying and difficult.

Thanks

Instead of favourites, can you make custom poi categories on the phone? If so, make one for each town and add the points to the specific town category. You can have unlimited number of points per category.

You can't create custom POI categories on the iPhone app as it doesn't have that functionality, you can create a custom POI file on your computer using something like POIEdit then employ DiskAid (set to run in Advanced mode) to add the ov2 (POI file) to the map folder in the TomTom app on the iPhone.

The icon needs to be a 22x22 bmp but the file extension needs to be renamed to .png do the file rename using Windows Explorer, do not save the icon as a png file using a graphics package as this doesn't work. Put the icon in the same map folder as the ov2 file.

Now on the device you get the option to select Navigate To/ POI select your custom category and specific location - Mike

I think Damien raises a very important issue about the difference in using TT to plan a journey, and using it whilst driving. So traffic rerouting and road blocked commands should require minimum sequence of commands with large buttons. I find it quite hairy, trying to touch tiny buttons at arms length when you suddenly find yourself in heavy traffic, perhaps only yards before a motorway exit.

Other than that, I would like to see TT include features that are already available on cheaper satnavs such as CoPilot - Itinary planning with route optimisation; and one which has just become important to me, Navigating to... UK National Grid References.

I do like TT, but unless it can at least equal cheaper rivals, its name alone will not maintain market share. It can't afford to let itself get outclassed.

Just a personal observation. I don't think the mobile app market is all that important to TomTom any longer, at least as regards a full standalone nav program. Cheaper competitors have already outclassed them. And they don't even come close to the features offered by the similarly priced Navigon app. What new features have TomTom built in the past year? Just one that I can think of, navigate to geo-coded photo. No interest in any other platform like Android or Win7 according to TT statements. They might still have some developments in the mobile area, with "live" traffic offered thru a competitor most likely, but it doesn't look like the iPhone app is getting their attention IMHO.

Is there anywhere else to go, unless they get out of satnav altogether?

With so many people now moving to smartphones, I think the PND Market must have limited life.

In built car systems? Maybe.

Well just in case they are, and I think the updates have been about on par with a comany who does still recognise the market potential, I've got a few more suggestions.

Avoid Tunnels - My Partner is scared of them, I know quite a few people who are scared of them, it'd be great to avoid them with a default setting, in the same way as Toll Roads.

Avoid School Zones during relevant periods.

I think it also needs to be smarter when you choose to avoid part of a route to include a whole road, not just sections of it, even when it changes name.

Ask a Question