Loss of sound - XXL540 Solution

- et -

TomTom Model(s)
XXL 540, GO Live 1535, GO 620
I may have discovered how to fix the loss of sound that I see reported in a number of messages here - although it is also quite possible that my problem and solution are unique.

I recently purchased a XXL540, which appeared to work without problems. When I attempted to update the maps, the download from my computer to the GPS hung up for about 20 hours before I shut the system down - possibly because during the time I was doing the update the TomTom server started refusing to talk to the Verizon FIOS system, which is my ISP. When I made a second attempt, the system repeatedly gave me an obscure error message and refused to proceed.

I finally called TomTom support, which gave me clear and excellent help that involved deleting several folders, downloading HOME again, and downloading and installing the latest (8.70) map. This appeared to solve the issue and the GPS seemed to work well, although I did not test the sound at that time. The process had deleted all of my custom POI files, but I had previously saved all of the files on my unit to my computer, using the Explorer file manager. Accordingly, I just copied the custom POI files back to the GPS, along with the mapsettings.cfg file.

All seemed well until I actually used the 540 in my car, at which time I discovered that there was no sound, regardless of my selection of sound ON or OFF, and regardless of what I did to the volume level setting. Further testing when I returned home revealed that I had no sound even when I held down the switch for an extended period at startup to attempt to produce the drum roll.

Having no success after changing options on the GPS itself, I connected it to my computer and started HOME to see if the results would be better when changing settings. None of the obvious settings helped, but when I went into the Voice selection menu I discovered that "Susan" was listed as "not available". I selected a different voice ("Bonnie") from the list of available voices - which appears to have corrected the problem.

It appears that my unit was attempting to use a voice that was either not installed or not being recognized. I have no idea why this would prevent ALL sound, including the drum roll at startup, but that appears to be what happened to my XXL540. On the chance that this behavior is not unique to my copy of the 540, I suggest that anyone who has lost all sound and cannot correct the problem change to a different voice through the "Preferences" menu. (I have no way of knowing if doing this via the menu on the GPS itself will work, or whether you will need to do it via HOME as I did.)

Ask a Question