Horror story - www.REDTAGSAVINGS.com READ!!!

So I checked out TomTom Go at Circuit City and liked it. I figured, do what I always do - check out the product in the store and order it cheaper online.. So I went to Froogle, BizRate etc.. Find the cheap price at this website www.REDTAGSAVINGS.com - $440 shipped for TomTom Go 510.. Minus $100 TomTom rebate = $340.. That's a steal!

I place and order and everything's ok - just like any other online small stores I've bought a lot of stuff from. Next morning I get a phone call, "there's a problem with your credit card".. Apparently, I chose MasterCard instead of Visa on a purchase form.. Which is odd, first time I've had this problem, but ok - could be a human error. "As long as I'm on the phone," the guy on the other line tries to sell me extended warranty which "can only be purchased at this time." I say no and we part as friends...

I expected the item to come next week, nothing and it still says "Processing" on the website almost a week later. So I call them up and they say you'll get a tracking number via email. I don't get anything, so I call them next day. They say, "Ohh It's been shipped 12/28, you should get it tomorrow". That way Thursday, today it Sunday..

It has now been two weeks since I've placed an order (12/26) and haven't received it yet.

So... I get suspicious, and I google the www.REDTAGSAVINGS.com and want to read through reviews.. and $HITE a lot of people have had the same problems as me: credit card problem and they call customers trying to upsell the warranty or sell accessories. This story like many other Brooklyn-based stores and basically scam artists who advertise low prices and do a lot of shady stuff like sell Refurb. products as new etc.. REDTAGSAVINGS.com is registered under three other domain names because customers complain. I've read and after looking was convinced that they make up false Reveiews @ Epinions.com to have the store look good.

There's a whole article and website here - http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/11/n...765&ex=1294635600&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss

HOLY $HIT - shopping online is unsafe again. I work in an IT industry so I am very PC-literate, but this is the first time I have ever had any problems with online orders.

I am freaked out and tomorrow, Monday I am calling my credit card company (thank god I ordered with a credit card) and disputing the charge.

BEWARE - be very careful with expensive purchases online (especially from NY area). DO not get burned - there are shady people there!

I too am in the IT industry...
I couldn't find anything on them but that doesn't mean you can't add something.

http://www.newyork.bbb.org/home2.aspx

Whois:
Registrant:
REDTAGSAVINGS.COM
ALBERT NIGRI
773 CONEY ISLAND
BROOKLYN, NY 11218
US
Email: (e-mail address removed)

Registrar Name....: REGISTER.COM, INC.
Registrar Whois...: whois.register.com
Registrar Homepage: www.register.com

Domain Name: redtagsavings.com

Created on..............: Wed, Jun 16, 2004
Expires on..............: Mon, Jun 16, 2008
Record last updated on..: Thu, Jun 01, 2006

Still looking for more for you....

Ohh, no worries about me. Just called the credit card company. Disputed the charge and changed the credit card number. That's no hassle at all - took 15 mins.

What does bother me is the fact that I can't trust sellers online anymore. After hassle-free atmosphere for over four years now of shopping online I am now completely freaked out.. Never would I think that in US in 2007 scams like these are taking place. My question is, how do these people stay in business, let alone stay out of jail.

If anything good has come out of this experience, is that I will be a lot more cautious of my online purchases. Please consider my experience as a warning and do not fall in the same trap.

If you purchase something online and they call you back trying to upsell, just say NO.

Just an update: I've filed a complaint with BBB (Better Business Bureau) against RedTagSavings.com

They are also registered under digitaldelivered.com, trusteddealer.com, buyritedigital.com

After reading a few articles from NY Times on this matter, I will never purchase anything online from state of NY.

BEWARE

I subscribe to a credit checker to keep take of any changes to my credit, like alerts and such.

I got one this morning for a Charge off account of about $200. I've never had an account with the noted creditor. This is another way of scammers getting your money. I've already disputed the item.

Credit Expert, or something like it, to me...is a wise investment. ESPECIALLY these days with so many online stores. unless you trust them completely...who knows what they REALLY do with the information you provide them thinking you are simply purchasing a TomTom or anything else...

I have heard of this kind of scam before, and in the NY area. I know I don't always get the absolutely lowest, rock-bottom prices, but I get peace of mind when I order from Amazon or Newegg, and I'll gladly pay a few bucks extra for it. But it gets so enticing when you find a product that's so much less somewhere else!

I'm glad this worked out for you and hope you get a TT510 soon!

They are not all bad

Buying anything from New York is tricky because of all the bogus web sellers. Many of them have 5 or more websites. You can get a good price, just not in NY!

The one thing that seems consistent is the pressure to buy extended warranties. If ya don't buy you don't get the tiem. Also the sale of gray market and European products without USA warranties.

I always call them before placing an order and ask:
1) Is this a USA product with a USA warranty?
2) Confirm the product includes ALL items in the USA product package.
3) Confirm the shipping cost.
4) Confirm the item is in stock now.

I have found if I get a "NO" or a change to any of these you do not want to do business with them.

I bought a TomTom 910 from www.bestbuypcs.com after doing some research. It was $474 before the $100 rebate. Prompt replies from customer service and the item arrived in 5 days.

I called and used their tollfree number, and the rep did not even ask if I wanted their extended warranty ($48.00)

I noticed today the price went up to $498.00

I would buy from them again.

Of course they are in Pennsylvania, Not New York

CD

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your horror story.

Warning for future buyers, Don't purchase from a seller who is shipping from Asia. This is especially noted in e-bay. Many GOs are being sold for dirt cheap coming from Asia. These are scams. Beware!

online ordering

My general rule is not to order from any NY based online
firms, especially Brooklyn, and if the price is too good to be true,
then it probably is.
I look at online vendor rating before I buy.

Buy?

Hey guys, what do you think of this place? Backed by Amazon.com, looks pretty safe to me:

http://www.amazon.com/TomTom-510-Po...818516?ie=UTF8&m=A2JUPN4BTA3CZV&s=electronics

I have not been able to find anything on the web about this company. There are no active complaints or a file on the company with the BBB.

The Amazon feedback is quite high, over 4,000, but a 5% dissatifaction seems high too. Many of the complaints are for delivery and customer contact, not product. There are however located in New York.

You could do worse that's fro sure. Let us know what happens if ya go with them, prices seem pretty good on most items.

CD

I guess we balance some of the pricing with the risk when we purchase on line. I use a program called ShopSafe (Bank of America, other companies have similar programs) that allows me to generate my own private credit card number with an expiration date and amount that I chose. When the company uses that number it is no longer of value to anyone else. They will also allow disputes and seem to give the customer the benefit of the doubt.

My order from ElectronicaDirect.com AKA comp-u-plus.com was successful. Fast shipping and tracking provided. It's all good!

Ask a Question