TomTom Story - MUST READ

Tomtom and UPS so far offer no acceptable level of customer support. I signed for my GPS return box about 30 minutes ago. The security tape on the top was broken and taped over and the box was obviously empty. I opened it from the bottom where the security tape was still intact as to not break the false seal - the box was empty. I ran down the UPS driver and showed him. He said to call UPS and report it - I did and all they could do for me is guarantee they'll have someone call me by tomorrow. Tomtom said this has happened before but all they could do is let UPS handle it. Two calls to UPS and three to Tomtom including speaking with a manager and being told to send in photos and I got the run around I suspect - they said maybe someone from corporate will call me back tomorrow.

My week long trip is Saturday and neither Tomtom nor UPS seem to care. All it would take is for Tomtom Fed Ex me another unit - I could provide a CC# until UPS investigates if that is what they needed.

Tomtom is totally useless in my eyes - flawed firmware (see here for the flaw) for months that is detrimental to the battery and flawed support. They really don't care.

I've dealt with Garmin customer support 2-3 times as the last two GPS I had were Garmin - they were flawless and went above and beyond often.

So far all I can say is avoid Tomtom. Tomtom will leave you with nothing when you really need it :evil:

This has happened to me before. Well 3 times the item just never arrived at my house. There isn't anything TomTom can do. UPS and FedEx both insure their packages so if anything happens, TomTom gets reimbursed.

Your beef is with UPS. Once UPS pays tomtom, they will ship you out another unit. This happened to me when I ordered an alternator. I never got it but showed as "Delivered" When I told the seller that I never got it, they contacted FedEx, and then FedEx started an investigation. They basically just talk to the driver and have him re-trace his steps (if a package never arrive) to see if he remembers where he dropped it off. From the moment the seller contacted FedEx about my missing package, it took 2 days for the seller to conatct me back saying "Don't worry, FedEx paid for it and we have just shipped out out a new alternator" which is awesome service.

Another time this happened was with a damaged car fender I received by DHL. This is how the box looked like. They didn't even have me sign for it. They just threw it at my door and left.

P1010021.jpg

P1010023.jpg

P1010032-1.jpg

The seller had me write them a letter stating how I received the package, and to email them pics. 2 days later I receive an email stating "DHL has handled it and we have just overnighted you out a new fender today"

That's also great service!

Keep your head up buddy, things will work out!

Tomtom and UPS so far offer no acceptable level of customer support. I signed for my GPS return box about 30 minutes ago. The security tape on the top was broken and taped over and the box was obviously empty. I opened it from the bottom where the security tape was still intact as to not break the false seal - the box was empty. I ran down the UPS driver and showed him. He said to call UPS and report it - I did and all they could do for me is guarantee they'll have someone call me by tomorrow. Tomtom said this has happened before but all they could do is let UPS handle it. Two calls to UPS and three to Tomtom including speaking with a manager and being told to send in photos and I got the run around I suspect - they said maybe someone from corporate will call me back tomorrow.

My week long trip is Saturday and neither Tomtom nor UPS seem to care. All it would take is for Tomtom Fed Ex me another unit - I could provide a CC# until UPS investigates if that is what they needed.

Tomtom is totally useless in my eyes - flawed firmware (see here for the flaw) for months that is detrimental to the battery and flawed support. They really don't care.

I've dealt with Garmin customer support 2-3 times as the last two GPS I had were Garmin - they were flawless and went above and beyond often.

So far all I can say is avoid Tomtom. Tomtom will leave you with nothing when you really need it :evil:

On the flaw - you might try deleting your 8.01 application and any trace of it in the Downloads folder of Home in your documents. This will download a new application file and install it. This cleared up a few similar issues I had - give it a try.

A shipper is at the mercy of the carrier. How foolish and immature to be putting the blame on the party that shipped, instead of the party that was actually "in possession". Chain of custody is clearly stated in your second sentence.

First and last post......i'd imagine. :rolleyes:

text_39.gif

A shipper is at the mercy of the carrier. How foolish and immature to be putting the blame on the party that shipped, instead of the party that was actually "in possession".

I've never had anything stolen in transit before (I've been a mail-order almost exclusive kind guy for the past 20 years) and the UPS delivery guy said that isn't the tape they use at UPS. I have had a case or two of damage though.

A little background on me I was one of the original editors at The Tech Report. I worked for them in 1999 and 2000.

Obviously I am frustrated but Tomtom could overnight something.

As a system admin with over a hundred BB users we often get field reps who lose/break their BB. We've overnighted devices before and even did saturday delivery. On the Fed Ex workstation (Tomtom ships both UPS and Fed Ex) you just have to select it, it doesn't take any more special effort other than that.

Just like those field reps I now really need my GPS for a trip I've been planning for months to LA. You don't need your GPS when you are driving around your hometown, you need it when you are on the road.

As I said I would willingly put on my CC# to Tomtom so I could have a unit and they could have a deposit while UPS processes the claim - they have nothing to loose but customer service rank and user loyalty on their part.

Last edited by a moderator:
Syadasti.....

You will notice I edited your last post. Swearing is inappropriate. So are inappropriate and inaccurate comments about anyone here or involved with other Boards.

If you have further issues with my actions, we can deal with them in private.

I remind you, I didn't come on a thread first post to offer no help and insult the poster rather than being helpful like everyone else. I was robbed. I am a victim, there is no reason to hit me while I'm down.

Last edited:
The frustration you are suffering, while perhaps justifiable, still give you NO reason to swear at other members or make potentially libellous statements.

The frustration you are suffering, while perhaps justifiable, still give you NO reason to swear at other members or make potentially libellous statements.

Again there is no reason to insult a person who has been robbed and contribute nothing. Everyone else offered helpful information in their post.

Its a fact I was banned and IP blocked without warning on the other forum and the thread/my story was completely deleted. No moderation effort was made - I was never contacted and no explanation was offered. Its suspicious.

I am sure you would not be happy if people were punishing you for being a victim either.

Last edited:
After getting corporate involved, Tomtom came through and even gave me a little extra for my trouble (snipped part). They are sending a replacement to LA for Monday delivery were I'll be staying.

TT Rep said:
Anyone in the household can sign for the package. FedEx typically makes 3 attempts to deliver and then will leave a notice for pick up. For the sake of being able to use your device, I will have it set up for delivery there.

Please do not forget to pack your accessories. I would hate for you to receive your replacement and not be able to use it.

[snip]

Please let me know when you have received your package.

After getting corporate involved, Tomtom came through and even gave me a little extra for my trouble (snipped part). They are sending a replacement to LA for Monday delivery were I'll be staying.

You see? Things always work out, but sometimes it's possible to take things too far the wrong way where things may go bad. We understand you were upset but venting the way you did won't get you any brownie points. You were banned from the other forum, and were almost banned here. You made it seem as if it was a huge conspiracy against you by TomTom and its users.

6 months ago I purchased a power supply that died on me in only 24 days of use. I was pretty upset because it took out a hard drive and 1 DAY OLD dvd burner with it as well. I complained and seemed very assertive that I would not settle for just a simple replacement of the same power supply. They upgraded my power supply from a 520W to a 900W power supply and I was very happy with that. I didn't swear or horribly threaten them though.

Same goes for an APC Battery backup UPS that I discovered had a flaw and was causing all sorts of problems. They too upgraded that model from a $79 model to a $200 model but again, didn't vent off on them. Too much aggression can push them away and makes them want to NOT help you as much. Ever since my report on APC's offical forums, everyone came forward with the same issue, and they discontinued the model.

In your case UPS was at fault.

I'm happy that things worked out for you. It would be horribly sick if someone decided to open your box and take your GPS again though.

I'm happy that things worked out for you. It would be horribly sick if someone decided to open your box and take your GPS again though.

Its not going via the same carrier this time and I'll be on the other side of the US so its pretty unlikely. I've always favored Fed Ex and its what we use at work almost exclusively.

The reason I responded as such is I was frustrated and then people have the nerve to add insult to injury.

As a person who ships items all the time and supports people in the field I know what can and cannot be done in a limited time frame. I did not respond negatively to anyone but the people who implied as if it was my fault it was stolen.

Not too many people would respond favorably to being robbed without any control over the matter and being told it was their fault.

I planned this vacation for months and its not unreasonable to be upset when a key tool for the vacation is missing (GPS) and each corporate party is telling me nothing can be done.

Not only that but it was sent in after I owned for a flaw I've had ever since I bought back in the beginning of August. A flaw that is a detriment to the user's battery lifecycle - I have the unit on every day for the handsfree bluetooth feature required by law. Having the flaw frequently needlessly draining the battery flat is a serious problem.

In dealing directly with Tomtom I was never rude but it took getting the right contact before they would do other than tell me there was nothing that could be done.

Ask a Question