horrible secondary road coverage - 740live 875 maps

I was stuck on a major secondary road today that almost always has bad traffic after 4pm - now there is not a lot of alternatives (there are a couple) but TT traffic had it completely clear.

Bing, Google Maps and MotionX all had the road as red/yellow correct down to the block level but TT had zero traffic on it or any other of the major secondary roads around it.

It's consistently the same on anything but the freeways and then around Seattle there is almost no coverage on the ramps onto the freeways (even major freeway to freeway ramps) where you can get hung up for a LONG time with clear alternatives on back roads.

Any guesses on what is going on?

IQRoutes/Traffic etc are useless if the base traffic coverage is so bad.

Was your ETA increasing as you drove through the traffic?

If IQroutes captures the traffic, Tomtom doesn't put any delay on the screen. The way to know it's captured is that your ETA won't move.

the ETA was WAY off

It was showing as a 16min trip but it took almost 25 mins even with some "making up" of time on the freeway.

The freeway was a clear and the 10+min delay was entirely from a 4 block set of lights that consistently get hosed up both ways at peak hour.

I've found IQroutes gets thrown off because it has a bug where it will not store predictable speeds slower than 10mph.

I've found that HD traffic compensates for that about half the time in Boston, but there are definitely some roads that it always misses.

I'd recommend calling Tomtom support with the specific location, and see if they can raise a trouble ticket with their traffic engineers.

the ETA was WAY off

Subtle difference....

IQ routes might have the actual delay time wrong, but the general principle of REGULAR jams being covered by IQ rather than HDTraffic still holds true if the ETA wasn't shown as increasing.

the ETA was WAY off

Subtle difference....

IQ routes might have the actual delay time wrong, but the general principle of REGULAR jams being covered by IQ rather than HDTraffic still holds true if the ETA wasn't shown as increasing.

Either way - standing issue and it was WAY off by nearly 75% of the trip time

Ask a Question