tomtom MP3 sound quality is horrible!

I hope someone has some sort of tweak for this.

I just got the new navcore 8.300 and the map 8.15. Love it...however.....the sound quality from the music is distorted something fierce!!

With my old navcore the sound was great...and I liked htat I could control the output volume through tomtom using the slider volume feature. That is now locked and I need to use the stereo volume. I used to have it up to 17 and now I'm lucky if I can listen to a song on 6 before it is just unbearable to listen to. I'm using the line in with a cassette tape.

Again, didn't have this issue until the update.

Anyone else having this problem and is there a work around for it?

I hope someone has some sort of tweak for this.

I just got the new navcore 8.300 and the map 8.15. Love it...however.....the sound quality from the music is distorted something fierce!!

With my old navcore the sound was great...and I liked htat I could control the output volume through tomtom using the slider volume feature. That is now locked and I need to use the stereo volume. I used to have it up to 17 and now I'm lucky if I can listen to a song on 6 before it is just unbearable to listen to. I'm using the line in with a cassette tape.

Again, didn't have this issue until the update.

Anyone else having this problem and is there a work around for it?

There is a lot of bugs in the Fm & voice wiyh 8.30

I would suggest that you reinstall your backup if you have one with the 8.010 app & 8.10 Map and wait till the new app with the bug fixes comes out.

I found a work around. Set the music to FM. The line out will still be acive for the cassette adapter and you will now be able to use the volume setting to adjust the level below the distortion point.

Wow, thats strange. My 720 plays MP3's pretty good via the internal speaker. Not only that, it has the ABSOLUTE best quality of ALL of my devices when I use it to play an MP3 via my Motorola HT820 bluetooth headphones. Better than my cell phone, PC, laptop.... That's something I can't understand yet though.

Playing an MP3 via the FM transmitter in a 2009 Ford Mustang was pretty damn good as well. No fuzz, nice bass (for an fm transmitter) and all

I'm assuming what you are trying to say is that the navcore MP3 volume is locked at 100%, therefore it sounds like crap on your car stereo, even though you turn down the car stereo? I didn't have that problem in the Mustang for some reason. The sound was great. And if I remember correctly I swore I was able to turn the volume to around 60% on the TomTom and turn it up in the Mustang, but I forgot what I did to actually make it work. I'll mess around with the 720 and post back.

I just finished recording 3 videos in 3 different cars of my TomTom using the transmitter to play MP3's via the car's stereo. I'm currently uploading/processing the videos on youtube. I'm not sure how the results will turn out once youtube finishes processing the vids, but lets hope for the best.

I don't know if this helps much at all and you'd have to be here in person to REALLY hear how clear and beautiful the music sounds through the FM transmitter using NavCore 8.3. I don't know if the mic on the digi cam will do justice but we'll see.

You might have to turn up your PC speakers a little bit. On my PC, through my sound system, you can really feel the bass from the video recording. Just hoping youtube doesn't screw up the sound quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckRHSYtRFc8&fmt=18

^^^^^First video is in my 2004 Nissan Murano^^^^^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bMK_J22vXo&fmt=18

^^^^^Second video is in my Nissan Pathfinder^^^^^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQFLQW7U_pQ&fmt=18

^^^^^Third video is in my Honda Civic with a broken antenna^^^^^

The antenna plug that plugs into the back of the car stereo is broken in my Civic, and is not connected. It still manages to pick up some signal most of the time, but it isn't always perfect. I do also have a sound system in my Civic, so I'm sorry if too much bass comes through.

Sorry for using the same 3 songs in the demonstrations, its just that I had to format and reinstall everything on the device to install NavCore 8.3 again on my unit to show you my examples. Okie, time to format and reinstall everything on the 720 and go back to NavCore 8.204 :)

No distortion for me. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
The issue with the 8.3 firmware is that it locks the line-out level too high for cassette adapters and causes fairly bad distortion. Using the FM output work around lets you set it lower again. At the lower output level the mp3's sound great.

Personally I use the line out because my car's antenna is in the rear window and the FM transmitter in the 720 is not strong enough to get a good signal (I've tried different frequencies and moving the power cord around).

The issue with the 8.3 firmware is that it locks the line-out level too high for cassette adapters and causes fairly bad distortion. Using the FM output work around lets you set it lower again. At the lower output level the mp3's sound great.

Personally I use the line out because my car's antenna is in the rear window and the FM transmitter in the 720 is not strong enough to get a good signal (I've tried different frequencies and moving the power cord around).
720 v8.302, the line out is not adjustable when I set the output to FM.
--
Eric

Ask a Question