Hello from Toronto!

TomTom Model(s)
GO 510
Two days ago, I got a Go510 as a gift from my daughters. Took me a while to learn it, but so far I love it! I think it is (for me anyway) one of those ideal gifts.. something I would never buy myself.

When I say I would never buy one, it is because I could not really justify the cost for the small amount of driving I do. The gift was totally unexpected, and I am enjoying it a lot. One of the nice things I like about it is that I can remove it from the car and use it walking or with my motorcycle.

Quite honestly, I had never heard of the TomTom brand.. maybe it is more popular in Europe. A number of the features such as traffic are not available in North America, but that is OK.. it would be nice to have, but I can live without them. It would also be nice to have maps of China and Hong Kong, but then again, I might not be able to read them. :confused:

I found this forum as a result of an email I sent to TomTom asking for some information.. and they sent me this url.

As a newbie, I know I will have lot of questions, and hope I will find some answers here. I don't find the user manual particularly comprehensive, and I find it a bit confusing at times.

Thanks for reading!

Hello and welcome! What a cool gift! You'll find lots of good stuff on this site, and that's really cool that TomTom pointed you here!

Welcome! Give it time and I bet you find yourself driving a bit more just to play with your 510!

What manual do you have? The one that comes with the device is rather uninformative, but you can get one with more info online....

It's nice to see that TomTom knows about our website, not necessarily the contest we just held....
You'll find so many answers tot he questions you will most likely have, right here on this site! You'll also find a great community of TomTom'ers too!

Enjoy!!

Manual

Thanks..
The manual shipped with the unit is extremely basic.. I did find a bit more in the PDF manual included on the CD shipped with the unit, but as a die-hard 'manual-reader', I find it too is somewhat lacking.

Both manuals tend to explain the different functions and menu options. What I really need is a manual to explains how to 'use' the unit in practice, rather than a manual that just explains the 'button functions'.

After I play with it some more, I might write my own manual. :D

Yes, that is the same one that is on the CD.. Have not finished reading it all yet.

One obvious omission, what is the mic used for? The only reference to it in the documentation is that it is included in the box.. but what is it used for? Nothing in the manual about it!

Anyway, this is not the thread to discuss this.. I will post my questions later, in the appropriate forum sections, after I have finished reading the manual, and cannot find the answers on my own.

Thanks!

Two days ago, I got a Go510 as a gift from my daughters. Took me a while to learn it, but so far I love it! I think it is (for me anyway) one of those ideal gifts.. something I would never buy myself.

When I say I would never buy one, it is because I could not really justify the cost for the small amount of driving I do. The gift was totally unexpected, and I am enjoying it a lot. One of the nice things I like about it is that I can remove it from the car and use it walking or with my motorcycle.

Quite honestly, I had never heard of the TomTom brand.. maybe it is more popular in Europe. A number of the features such as traffic are not available in North America, but that is OK.. it would be nice to have, but I can live without them. It would also be nice to have maps of China and Hong Kong, but then again, I might not be able to read them. :confused:

I found this forum as a result of an email I sent to TomTom asking for some information.. and they sent me this url.

As a newbie, I know I will have lot of questions, and hope I will find some answers here. I don't find the user manual particularly comprehensive, and I find it a bit confusing at times.

Thanks for reading!
hi and welcome to TomTom Forums.

We do have Traffic. If you head down to the states you can use the Traffic feature. Go to tomtom.com and activate your free trial! In Canada, we only get road conditions so it's still somewhat useful.

There is a HK map (as well as Singapore and Australia) but so far, I've only seen Australia for download. Maybe if you go to the tomtom homepage for an Asian country, you can see it there.

TomTom is a European brand but it's making inroads in North America. I first heard about the brand when I watched Fifth Gear (UK car show).

Yes, that is the same one that is on the CD.. Have not finished reading it all yet.

One obvious omission, what is the mic used for? The only reference to it in the documentation is that it is included in the box.. but what is it used for? Nothing in the manual about it!

Anyway, this is not the thread to discuss this.. I will post my questions later, in the appropriate forum sections, after I have finished reading the manual, and cannot find the answers on my own.

Thanks!
Mic is used for bluetooth hands-free calling.

Looks like they are shipping the new units with the latest PDF manual now too. that's good news.

Hello and welcome fellow Torontonian. You will definitely find this forum usefull with lots of information and goodies. I'm sure the community here can help you out with any questions you may have.

Enjoy the TomTom :D

You should harass Digital-Flex for any help you need ! Get his cell phone if possible. :D

It's easy if you punch & go but it take a while to learn if you want to squeeze the most out of the unit. Be gentle & patient with it (learn more about Route avoidances, Itinary Planning & custom POI).

Ask a Question