Hello frm NY - Not THAT NY.

TomTom Model(s)
ONE 3rd Ed., ONE some other ed.
Hi from New York! I live in the part of NY known as "Upstate" - just far enough from the city to be able to use a telescope but close enough to experience the high quality crime.

I just got a One 3rd Edition.
So far it's worked fine. It's routing choices, usability are great. I also like the abiltiy to change the voices and download some funny ones. My brother's biggest complaint about his Garmin is that he now resents the voice. He's on the road alot and apparently, it's grating on him. I'm generally happy with the Tomtom One 3rd Edition, but now I'm now finding the limitations. It IS certainly an entry level model.

My biggest issue is in regards to the POI's. I was taken in by the inconcise marketing terminology and led to believe that I could "add my own POI's" to this thing. I didn't realize it was limited to downloadable collections of obscure British petrol facilities and Curry houses :confused:

Not exactly useful for an American without a passport. Even the "US" POI collections are of limited usefulness... Pancake Houses of South Eastern Peoria During Antibellam Times... (Joke) ;) But seriously. The Wal-Mart database doesn't have ANY of the five within 20 miles of my town (including the second largest in the US) and virtually none of the local retail is available in the "US retail collection". There is no evidence that I could add content to the shared content in the "HOME" thing. I'd love to add my own and share it, having been a Google Earth Nut for a few years. I have vast highly researched databases that would be wonderful to have at my disposal on the road. I'm sure others would find them interesting too.

I've been attempting to figure out if adding POI's is even possible with the ONE 3rd Edition outside of paying for collections of virtually worthless niche info for foreign countries - and Tomtom's infuriating method for naming all their products "ONE" doesn't help. NONE of the suggestions for adding POI's to a ONE actually works on the 3rd edition as all the OV2 files are encrypted.

That said, I'm probably going to hand this thing off to my mother, who only ever needs to know how to get to flea markets, and wait for the more feature-rich versions to come down in price (supposing THAT ever happens).

Does anybody know what models DO allow users to add POI's? And please don't tell me the ONE. I've laready got it.

Only OV2' made by TomTom are encrypted.
You can use POI made by individuals and shared them on the web. If it's not in OV2 format then you can use POI converters, no big deal.
Just copy these into the map folder.
Your TT1 3rd has no extra slot for SD card, and the mem is 1G total, you can't do much with it. But certainly you can add a good chunk of POI in, depending what you are interested in.
I would buy any TomTom except that ONE.:D

Only OV2' made by TomTom are encrypted.
You can use POI made by individuals and shared them on the web. If it's not in OV2 format then you can use POI converters, no big deal.
Just copy these into the map folder.
Your TT1 3rd has no extra slot for SD card, and the mem is 1G total, you can't do much with it. But certainly you can add a good chunk of POI in, depending what you are interested in.
I would buy any TomTom except that ONE.:D

This is good! And I think I'm feeling a bit better about it than before. I just spent the day out on the road with the Tomtom and it's MORE than redeemed itself! It is an excellent little unit. It guided me to the Goodwill store where I happened to find... a Tomtom One! It has an SD slot in it. Came with the SD card, car charger, USB cable and suction cup. Also the documentation and CD were still in the sealed plastic. Well, I tryed it out and it worked, except in GERMAN :)D ). So, for $75.00 I now have another ONE! LOL! Switched it to English (US) as soon as I got it in the car.

This ONE has trip itinerary planning and a bunch of other features - but an older map.

So, which do I give to mom???

I'd love to add my own and share it, having been a Google Earth Nut for a few years. I have vast highly researched databases that would be wonderful to have at my disposal on the road. I'm sure others would find them interesting too.

well then, you're going to love the tomtom. google earth markers are easily added to the tomtom. see my earlier post on this in this thread.

https://www.tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?p=47393#post47393

This is good! And I think I'm feeling a bit better about it than before. I just spent the day out on the road with the Tomtom and it's MORE than redeemed itself! It is an excellent little unit. It guided me to the Goodwill store where I happened to find... a Tomtom One! It has an SD slot in it. Came with the SD card, car charger, USB cable and suction cup. Also the documentation and CD were still in the sealed plastic. Well, I tryed it out and it worked, except in GERMAN :)D ). So, for $75.00 I now have another ONE! LOL! Switched it to English (US) as soon as I got it in the car.

This ONE has trip itinerary planning and a bunch of other features - but an older map.

So, which do I give to mom???

If you decide not to give one to your mom, I'll buy one from you for $115. Let me know if you're interested ;)

Ask a Question