Hello everyone...

My name is Joker Smith.
Just received a GO-720 as a gift. I signed up to be a new member to learn about TomTom Go-720 & to be able to mod/tweak it to the max. capacity.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!

Before doing ANYTHING, make a full Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents. Ensure hidden files/folders are showing.

Check what firmware and map you have installed. To find out the firmware version, tap the satellite bars. The next screen shows the version of the firmware installed. Now, tap the version number and the next screen shows the map installed and version.

The latest map is North America_2GB, 8.15. If you don't have that, you are entitled to the latest map guarantee within 30 days of first connecting the unit using Home's software.

But, you won't be offered ANY version 8 maps if your firmware is not at the v8 level. If it isn't, when you connect to Home, you should be offered the latest firmware. Version 8.3 DOES have problems but you can install it, get the latest map, and roll back the firmware to a lower level v8 at a later date.

It appears to be very close to the time that a map higher than 8.15 should be offered; consequently, if I were you, I'd wait a couple of weeks to try to get the latest map if you don't have 8.15 installed now, cuz you only get one kick at the can, so to speak.

Hi dhn,

Many thanks for your advice & the tips to use Windows-Explorer to backup all files/folders. (As of the moment, I only use Home...which is very slowwwwww.)

Also, the 720 unit I received is a little over 30 days, since my wife bought it & waited to give it to me on B'day. I will try to contact TomTom Tech for the latest map guarantee.

As for the F/ware, which version do you think it's better/stable than V 8.3?

Cheers,
Jksmith

8.01 is more stable but I don't think you'll be offered it using Home. I think only 8.3 is offered now at the v8 level.

A link to a thread where you can get the 8.01 f/w is here

Welcome to the forum. As dhn advised backing up is the first step after opening the box (using explorer). Any questions you might have someone here usually has an answer for you.

dhn,
Many thanks for the link of Navcore 8.01.
However, I just google'ed & found the Navcore 8.204 (for x40). It looks very interesting...have you tried it?

drledger,
Many thanks for a warm welcome...

Discussion of 8.204 is inappropriate for this forum since it's meant for x40units only, none of which have been released in North America. Consequently, if the software is floating around out there, it is doing so unofficially.

Thank for your understanding........

Ask a Question