Hello All!

Just picked up my FIRST GPS, 140s. :D
I love it! I do have one issue that I'm hoping someone here can help me with. We are going to Ireland, I purchased the new maps. Now I guess I just dont understand how to enter Irish addresses? Could someone please explain how to do it. 1 example is Giants Causway, there is no address. Another is a hotel in Stillorgan. The only thing I have for an address is Stillorgan Park Hotel Address dublin, dublin, 18? How do I enter that? There must be a way!!!!:(

Thanks!!!

Can you enter the location as a poi location in the Hotel category for city of Dublin?

I'll give that a shot! Thanks! Any other help would be most welcome,

I'm willing to try anything, (just gives me a reason to play with my new toy!) ;)

Another suggestion .......

One of our members here, mikealder, resides in the UK and is probably quite experienced with those kinds of issues as they relate to addresses on your side of the pond. If he doesn't jump into this thread on his own in the next day or so, you can try pm'ing him for further assistance.

The guy truly knows his stuff!

The information you have given isn't too easy to work out where you need, but at times like these Google Earth can be your friend, first of all lets make sure your GPS device is set to use decimal degrees. Switch it on and tap the sat strength meter in the lower right corner, on the next screen just under the battery status top right is another sat stregth meter, tap that now hit the "Configure" button make sure "Degree (d.d) is checked.
Now go to Browse Map and tap "Find" on the second page of options is one called "Latitude/ Longitude"

For Stillorgan Park Hotel enter:
N53.314288
W6.221757

The above coordinates should put you at the hotel carpark entrance.

Now for Giants Causeway, I am assuming you mean the formation of 40,000 Basalt columns on the North coast of Ireland? If this guess is correct then try entering:

N55.24807
W6.48156

The columns are actually slightly North of this location, but its the last section of road in the imediate area.

Consider putting these locations into a Custom POI file, once setup when you get there all you need to do is call each one up by name, I appreciate this isn't too helpful in using the device, but as I said at the start of this post there wasn't too much information to start with. The TomTom x40 devices offer Navigate to Google search which would have found the hotel, but on your device you sometimes need to either find more information or use other methods to find locations, Google Earth is very handy for this sort of work - Mike

The information you have given isn't too easy to work out where you need, but at times like these Google Earth can be your friend, first of all lets make sure your GPS device is set to use decimal degrees. Switch it on and tap the sat strength meter in the lower right corner, on the next screen just under the battery status top right is another sat stregth meter, tap that now hit the "Configure" button make sure "Degree (d.d) is checked.
Now go to Browse Map and tap "Find" on the second page of options is one called "Latitude/ Longitude"

For Stillorgan Park Hotel enter:
N53.314288
W6.221757

The above coordinates should put you at the hotel carpark entrance.

Now for Giants Causeway, I am assuming you mean the formation of 40,000 Basalt columns on the North coast of Ireland? If this guess is correct then try entering:

N55.24807
W6.48156

The columns are actually slightly North of this location, but its the last section of road in the imediate area.

Consider putting these locations into a Custom POI file, once setup when you get there all you need to do is call each one up by name, I appreciate this isn't too helpful in using the device, but as I said at the start of this post there wasn't too much information to start with. The TomTom x40 devices offer Navigate to Google search which would have found the hotel, but on your device you sometimes need to either find more information or use other methods to find locations, Google Earth is very handy for this sort of work - Mike

SWEET!!!!!!!

Ok I just tried it! IT WORKS!!!!!!! I'll just try to get the quads. for the places I know we are going and enter them! Ok one final question, how do I create a custom POI file?

YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!!!
Thanks So Much!!!!!:D:D:D

Told you he knew his stuff!

Manage pois-->Add poi category and type in the name you want. If you precede the name with an underscore(_), the category will 'float' to the top of the listings (eg., _my_custom category)

Told you he knew his stuff!

Manage pois-->Add poi category and type in the name you want. If you precede the name with an underscore(_), the category will 'float' to the top of the listings (eg., _my_custom category)

I'm so VERY close to cracking this I can TASTE it!

the catagory floats to the top of the listings where will it be located?

also on google earth I cant get the quads right for some reason. I must not be entering them correctly. I changed them to read DD. What am I missing there?

You guys are AWESOME!!!!!

As in this case you are in Ireland although the same applies to the USA you are West of the zero degree line, as such values from Google Earth will all show with negative values for the Logitude, all you have to do on the TomTom when you encounter a negative value is enter W then type the number without the minus sign.
If you ever want to use the device in the Southern hemesphere the Latitude value will go negative so you would enter S instead of N, but for your Ireland trip stick with the N value.

I hope this has got you compiling a POIcategory for your impending trip, this is often the easy way to use the device when venturing away from home, prior planning can make the trip far more enjoyable and remove the stress from finding locations. Was I correct with the Bassalt rocks for your early question or do you need to locate that position again?

One more to add to your collection is this one:

N53.343649
W6.287583

Enjoy a pint of my usual tipple while you are there - Mke

Ask a Question