Grrrrrrrr. Ininery problems.... HELP!!!!!!!!!!

I am not impressed. I am on a 2 week vacation. Before I left home, I spent a full week studying routes, downloading Geocaches along that route etc. I entered my route into the TT itinery. Yesterday, we left home and went right to the hotel, so the route worked properly. Today, however, TT really screwed up. The itinery was entered to follow 3 waypoints and then end up at my destination. When I activated the itinery this morning, it took me on a completly different route!!!!!!!!!!! I can see the wayponts on the map and the destination, but Tomtom routed me on the freeways directly to my final destination, without regard for the route I actually wanted to take.

I still have several itineries entered into my TT and don't want this to happen again. What am I doing wrong??????????????

It sounds to me like you told TomTom to 'navigate' to your next destination instead of tapping 'itinerary planning' then 'options' and then 'load intinerary' to start your next itinerary. Is that possible? I know I did that once and wondered why TT didn't take me the way I planned.

Just a thought.

Last edited:
It sounds to me like you told TomTom to 'navigate' to your next destination instead of tapping 'itinerary planning' then 'options' and then 'load intinerary' to start your next itinerary. Is that possible? I know I did that once and wondered why TT didn't take me the way I planned.

Just a thought.

I don't think so. On my itinery list, it shows the 3 waypoints and the destination. Also, on the map it shows 3 small flags with numbers on them indicating the order in which they are to be visited.

When you planned out your trip, did you make several itineraries, or... did you plan it out in one itinerary with the first hotel being a waypoint? If you made it all one itinerary and then tapped 'clear route' when you got to the hotel, then TomTom stopped navigating that itinerary. If you then the next morning tapped 'navigate to' your next destination, the TomTom doesn't know the waypoints you had in your itinerary (it's not active).

If you did make it all one itinerary, tapped 'clear route' when you arrived at your hotel, you can pick it up again the next morning, but.... TomTom will try to take you back to your very first waypoint. You can still make it work - but you'll have to mark those waypoints you already passed as being visited. You do that by tapping 'itinerary planning', then tap each waypoint you've passed and mark them visited.

If this isn't your problem, I don't know what else to suggest, sorry.

Hope this helps.

When you planned out your trip, did you make several itineraries, or... did you plan it out in one itinerary with the first hotel being a waypoint? If you made it all one itinerary and then tapped 'clear route' when you got to the hotel, then TomTom stopped navigating that itinerary. If you then the next morning tapped 'navigate to' your next destination, the TomTom doesn't know the waypoints you had in your itinerary (it's not active).

If you did make it all one itinerary, tapped 'clear route' when you arrived at your hotel, you can pick it up again the next morning, but.... TomTom will try to take you back to your very first waypoint. You can still make it work - but you'll have to mark those waypoints you already passed as being visited. You do that by tapping 'itinerary planning', then tap each waypoint you've passed and mark them visited.

If this isn't your problem, I don't know what else to suggest, sorry.

Hope this helps.

Each day was planned seperately. Day 1, Day 2 etc. I did all the planning in Garmin's Mapsource, saved each day as a GPX file then imported it using TYRE. I find it very odd considering that it seems to show up fine on the screen. I only found out the problem this morning after going more than 50 miles out of my way!

Ok, separate itineraries. That's good.

So the next morning you tapped 'itinerary planning', etc, and loaded your next itinerary? If that's the case, that sounds right to me.

I know that TomTom, Google and Tyre (etc) don't navigate the exact same way. That's why we need to add enough waypoints to FORCE TomTom to take you the way you want to go. But... sounds like you did that.

Ok, separate itineraries. That's good.

So the next morning you tapped 'itinerary planning', etc, and loaded your next itinerary? If that's the case, that sounds right to me.

I know that TomTom, Google and Tyre (etc) don't navigate the exact same way. That's why we need to add enough waypoints to FORCE TomTom to take you the way you want to go. But... sounds like you did that.

Yup, I sure did. This morning, I fired up the TT and loaded Day 2. The first waypoint was about 30 miles away on a secondary road. The TT started off by saying there were toll roads on my route. I selected Yes to take the toll roads. I wonder if that had anything to do with it? We started off in the general direction of Waypoint 1, but not knowing the area very good, we had no idea that instead of taking us towards Waypoint 1 via the secondary road we had selected, the GPS instead hit the freeways and was taking me directly to my final destination.

Thankfully I also had my Garmin 60CX and I quickly loaded the EXACT same route into it and it faithfully follorwed the path I wanted. The TT tried all day to get off the secondary roads and onto the freeways.

Well, I don't see where you did anything wrong. Sounds correct to me. I don't have any other suggestions, sorry.

I would steer clear of Itinerary Planning at the beginning.
Or just make simple itineraries consist of only 'city centers'.

The TT tried all day to get off the secondary roads and onto the freeways.

If you're routing method is "FASTEST", the TT will usually look for freeways at all costs. After the route is calculated, try hitting CALCULATE ALTERNATIVE, then choose avoid freeways, or shortest, or my favorite, BICYCLE.

One of the other routing methods will probably give you what you're looking for.

Ask a Question