Greetings from San Jose, CA

TomTom Model(s)
TomTom GO 510
Hello,

I got my refurbished TomTom 510 from woot.com ($205 shipped.)
It's a great device but freezes up on me in certain areas around Mountain View, CA. Is this common on TomToms or does it only happen to the refurbished units from woot?

This is a great forum. I've tried the reset at the back of the unit, tried the clean flash utility and also resetting the unit to factory standards.

I've noticed that if I view images of a route, and then flip through them, the unit freezes at the 4th or 5th image (usually out of a total of 7 or 8 images).

I've written to TomTom support and will hopefully be able to send it back for repairs (or replacement) under warranty.

Hello and welcome.
Congrats on the purchase. What you are experiencing is not normal.
Lets wait and see what tomtom has to say.
Did your unit come with the original SD card?

Wow, that was a quick reply! :)

Yes, it came with an original SD card of 1GB. I've backed it up so it's open to mess with :)
Other people who've bought from woot.com have also experienced many issues. It's surprising to see that woot has sold so many units with so many problems. I wonder how they got a hold of these defective units.

I bought it for my wife but I can't give it to her until it's more dependable.

The TomTom customer service rep asked me to delete the TomTom app using TomTom Home and reinstall it.
Unfortunately, I didn't have my USB cable so I couldn't do this right away. Hasn't helped much though. I think the maps maybe corrupt or something. I can still make the unit crash at will.
I'll call them again tomorrow.

Nope. It usually happened around Moffet field which made me wonder if it was their giant dish antennas, but turns out that it's not.
Between the Moffet field area and the 237 and 85 junction, it kept rebooting itself.

With great help from TomTom support, I got it to work. They asked me to try a few things that I had suspected and so I decided to try them one-by-one to narrow down the exact cause.
Formatting the SD card and re-installing everything worked! It's crash-free now. I can't make it crash at-will like I used to.

I'll post more info in the 510 forum.

Ask a Question