Greetings from Canada

TomTom Model(s)
XXL 540M
Hi there,
I have the tomtom xxl 540M gps device with lifetime map updates. I have not been using my device because shortly after it arrived the car charger fell apart. It took me quite some time to get back to focussing on finding a replacement charger. I even looked on the tomtom website and even they did not have it in stock. this is beyond belief considering this is the manufacturer. tomtom was of no help in finding a replacement. ok now that I have gotten that off my chest I can move on. the device itself is quite good and I regularly update the maps when its available every few months. I don't even unplug the car charger anymore as I am in such trepadation over it breaking again. it is nice to have maps of Canada, USA and Mexico. I think every car should have a gps as standard equipment. It is quite ridiculous that navigation system is considered at the very highest end of luxury for a car and they charge thousands for it. Instead they give us heated seats and steering wheels. I guess that is so we can have warm fingers while we rubberneck looking for our destination. but I do like the fact that my device is portable, and that makes it better than a permanent 'navi'. I feel like I have to get re-acquainted with the device and all the things it can do, but for now just wanted to say hi, and let everyone know why my old gps is only now being used. thanks and hope to talk to you soon.

Welcome. I don't understand why the car charger wasn't under warranty. Or was it?

by the time I discovered what the problem was I could not then locate the invoice, and as time slid by I thought whatever warranty there was had expired. I bought the device back in august 2010, but have not used it for a long time as I had no working charger. also, I figured that it would have been easy to replace, as I thought Universal serial bus was...well universal.. but as I found out that is not the case at all. after this experience I will be looking for strong aftermarket support in future devices.

I see universal car chargers in places like Best Buy or Future Shop all the time for models such as that.

Yup, any properly designed USB charger should power the TomTom OK.

The only proviso is that ones with lower current ratings will not charge the battery as quickly as higher capacity ones.

I see universal car chargers in places like Best Buy or Future Shop all the time for models such as that.

i went to those stores and two others. I even purchased two of the chargers to try out. so I actually did it so I know. that is a little different than saying ya, I see lots of chargers in stores. they don't fit and they won't work. for the device I have you really need the original and that charger is really really hard to get. almost made me want to throw the thing in the garbage and get another. in fact, one store told me to do just that. just throw it away like a piece of used gum. after all we live in a disposable society where everything is made to break, not to last. usb connections should be universal and easily plugged in.... I discovered that is not the case;. in future, I will make certain that the device I buy can take any usb charger not one that I have to scour the earth for. also I will buy another one because I know how cheap they are so you really should always have a back up car charger or else your sol in using that device.

i went to those stores and two others. I even purchased two of the chargers to try out. so I actually did it so I know. that is a little different than saying ya, I see lots of chargers in stores. they don't fit and they won't work. for the device I have you really need the original and that charger is really really hard to get. almost made me want to throw the thing in the garbage and get another. in fact, one store told me to do just that. just throw it away like a piece of used gum. after all we live in a disposable society where everything is made to break, not to last. usb connections should be universal and easily plugged in.... I discovered that is not the case;. in future, I will make certain that the device I buy can take any usb charger not one that I have to scour the earth for. also I will buy another one because I know how cheap they are so you really should always have a back up car charger or else your sol in using that device.
My experience has been the same as that of dhn - no problem getting a USB car charger. I wonder if the reason for the difference in experience is a difference in what we are describing with the phrase "USB car charger". Car chargers that have the cable permanently attached to the "plug" that goes into the cigarette lighter are not USB car chargers. A USB charger will be a two-piece assembly with the cable separate from the charger plug.

The actual "plug" that goes into the cigarette lighter should be very easy to find. However, the cable that goes from that plug to the GPS needs to have a specific type of fitting on the GPS end, and many of the TomTom units require a different fitting on the cable than is used on other - more common - devices such as cell phones.

If a random "universal" charger were grabbed off a store shelf, the odds are that the cable would NOT fit some of the TomTom units - although it would fit others. For example, a charger cable that fits my cell phone would not fit my XXL540, but it would fit my GO LIVE 1535.

Since my XLL540 was delivered with a USB cable to use to connect with my computer, I can just connect that cable with an aftermarket USB car charger "plug" and the plug/cable combination works with my XXL540.

With best wishes,
- Tom -

that is wonderful news. your explanation has thrown a great deal of light on this subject and you have elucidated me. I feel a little sheepish about all of my complaining now. but I understand everything now. many thanks Tom.

Ask a Question