faster recalculations

I have a tomotm XXL IQ and it calculates route changes much slower than my go720 did. is there a way to increase its speed? perhaps a software tweak or update? if not has anyone on here tried over clocking the cpu in these?

There's a significant difference in processor speed between your old and new unit. Your 720 ran at 400MHz. Your new unit only runs at 266MHz. Don't expect a cheaper unit to operate as quickly. A 630 or 740 would have put you back to where you were.

hmm, that's the odd thing. the units were close in price so i had thought they would be close in speed. my 720 was around 320 and the xxl was around 290 at target about 7 months ago (ish). but i needed it at the moment and thus didnt have time to research :-/ i meant to return it and buy one online but well... to quote a famous person "procrastinate now, don't put it off"

Did your 720 have IQ Routing or not?
Using that slows down route calculations hugely.

As an experiment, try switching IQ Routes off on the XXL (its a button at the bottom of the screen in "Planning Preferences") and see if it's now as fast as the 720.

i havnt tried turning it off yet. what bugs me is this IQ route thing is crap. my 720 would tell me exactly what exit to take on the highway - first or second. what lane i needed to move to for the split highways where 2 lanes go one way and 3 go another. this XXL with IQ routes does none of this and is often compleatly oblivious to splitting highways.

That's nothing to do with IQ routing though....

Anyway,
I have a Go720 and an XL IQ and the ALG arrows in the status bar seem pretty similar to me (better on the XL as it''s a newer map. More reality view lane pictures too.

Do you have "Show lane images" switched off by any chance?

Isn't what he's talking about "Advanced Lane Guidence"? If so that should be a feature found on the XXL devices.
Negative.

IQRoutes attempts to use historical speed data by time of day and day of week to come up with the fastest routing.

Advanced Lane Guidance are the little arrows at the bottom that give you an idea of where you'll want to be with regard to lanes when it comes to the route you're on.

Reality View is the pictorial that covers the entire screen that attempts to show where the lanes are and where you need to be.

Three different features.

Isn't what he's talking about "Advanced Lane Guidence"? If so that should be a feature found on the XXL devices.
Negative.

IQRoutes attempts to use historical speed data by time of day and day of week to come up with the fastest routing.

Advanced Lane Guidance are the little arrows at the bottom that give you an idea of where you'll want to be with regard to lanes when it comes to the route you're on.

Reality View is the pictorial that covers the entire screen that attempts to show where the lanes are and where you need to be.

Three different features.
Understood. I was specifically speaking to this comment from him;"my 720 would tell me exactly what exit to take on the highway - first or second. what lane i needed to move to for the split highways where 2 lanes go one way and 3 go another"

The thread is about IQ routes but I thought that blub sounded like lane guidence and he might be mixing issues.

Understood. I was specifically speaking to this comment from him;"my 720 would tell me exactly what exit to take on the highway - first or second.
We're talking past each other, I think. I'm guessing he was talking about Reality View (if he kept his software updated), although it could have been ALG. At any rate, it sounds as though the OP hasn't ever enable the feature on his unit.

IQroutes and ALG are both map dependent.

The 720 (when sold in early 2008) had neither feature. If you upgrade to the latest map, it has both features.

The XXL (when launched in 2009) had IQroutes and ALG, but the ALG feature was sparse on the preinstalled map. Again, current maps have far more ALG locations.

The early 720 ran Nav7 firmware when launched back in 2007. I didn't recall that mine had the ability to manage the new views until we upgraded both to Nav8 and the new maps that had the necessary data embedded.

Ask a Question