Community content for GoLive 2050

TomTom Model(s)
One (sold), 720 (dead), GoLive 2050
My ancient 720 finally died and I replaced it with a 2050.

I've only had it a few days but, at the moment, feel like managing content on it is far more cumbersome than it was on my 720.

Also, one strange thing I have noticed is that 'round-abouts' are now called 'rotaries'!! What's with this??

~Wayne

I actually think that once you've found the stupidly-named "Add Community Content" button, then doing stuff (what little you can do) is actually more straightforward in MyTomTom than it was in Home.
But then I never used Home unless I really had to... For me, updating things using normal Windows copy and paste was easier than both of them.

Roundabouts are still called roundabouts on all my TomToms in the UK.
Are you using an Australian voice, or are you switched to a US one?
Is there even a native Aus. voice on there?

Yes, I have been experimenting with it since that post and think I 'shot from the lip' just a bit, though TT Home seemed to have bucket loads of user-contributed content available for download. It seems that with 'My Tomtom' I have to source content from elsewhere (like the great stuff I have downloaded from this forum) and then upload it using the 'Add community content' feature.

With regard to the voice, I am currently using 'Karen' which is labelled 'English (Australian), Speaks street names'

Last edited:
Yes, you're right there... MyTomTom does not have any of the "library" of their own or user-submitted content that Home used to have.
As you say, you have to find it else where, unless you can coax enough life out of your 720 to be able to connect it to Home. Then you can still download stuff from there to your PC and move it to the 2050 yourself. Fiddly but possible.

One thing many users complain about on the user forums is the lack of an on-line "library" of POIs, voices, car cursors etc.... like there was with TT Home.

However, I was rather surprised to stumble on this page on the TT website, which seems to describe a way to install voices directly from the TT website using MyTomTom.

The instructions don't seem quite correct (eg when it says "
select the voice you want" I think you need to put the voice in your shopping basket with the "buy now" button which isn't mentioned).

The good news is that the sounds, analog voices, POI and the like that can be loaded to these new units are still using the old file format. @Biggles .. if you still have any items of that nature from your 720 saved somewhere on your PC that you'd like to use on your new 2050, go for it.

Yes,I have managed to load in some of the splash screens that I had grabbed for my 720 and had backed up on my PC.

I'll have a 'go' (no pun intended) at firing up the 720 and using TT Home to grab more of what I would like for my new 'beastie'.

'Rotaries' has still got me mystified though. I have tried all of the computer generated voices (I like hearing the street names :) ) and it is quite consistent - 'rotary' rather than 'roundabout'!

Rotary sounds odd here, too, though it's the norm for the east coast of the U.S. Out here on the west side of the Mississippi, we call them 'traffic circles', and that's the one phrase that never accompanies an English speaking unit. They've given you our default instead, it sounds like.

Rotary sounds odd here, too, though it's the norm for the east coast of the U.S. Out here on the west side of the Mississippi, we call them 'traffic circles', and that's the one phrase that never accompanies an English speaking unit. They've given you our default instead, it sounds like.

yes, I have raised a support ticket, so it will be interesting to see the response from them on this one.

OK - I have solved the 'roundabout' vs 'rotary' issue.

My Language setting was English(US) - when I changed it to English(UK) I got roundabouts - yay :)

Only slight hitch was that distances were now in 'yards', so off to the 'Units' settings to change that back to 'metres' and all is now good!

Ask a Question